forum help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brian11to1

Ok, Ive been trying to teach myself how to manipulate the CSS on my site, so far I have done ok, I think.

But, there are some problems I cant seem to find the answers to.

nocolor.bmp

If its outlined in yellow, I dont want a background color. Any ideas or hints or anything?

can't be done in the default template. that alt1 class effects EVERY instance of the grey. you'll have to edit your templates on the navbar and the forumdisplay and give them a new class name, say alt5 (3 and 4 are used as well by default) and then add
Code:
.alt5 { background: #000000; }
in the custom css area at the bottom.

pissedoffsol said:
can't be done in the default template. that alt1 class effects EVERY instance of the grey. you'll have to edit your templates on the navbar and the forumdisplay and give them a new class name, say alt5 (3 and 4 are used as well by default) and then add
Code:
.alt5 { background: #000000; }
in the custom css area at the bottom.

So its going to be hard to do?
If i gave you admin access would you do it for me?

ok Brian, I gave up on that... just need some assistance... here...

Ive tried everything, been to a lot of forums on CSS and have came up with nothing.

Can you help?

Attachments

• asd.JPG
    asd.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 100
  • asd2.JPG
    asd2.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 103
brian11to1 said:
ok Brian, I gave up on that... just need some assistance... here...

Ive tried everything, been to a lot of forums on CSS and have came up with nothing.

Can you help?

This is the CSS I've added to try to fix it...

Code:
<td>background: transparent</td>
<th>background: transparent</th>
<p>background: transparent</p>
<li>background: transparent</li>

also

Code:
<td>background-color: transparent</td>
<th>background-color: transparent</th>
<p>background-color: transparent</p>
<li>background-color: transparent</li>

css doesn't use html selectors, and "transparent" is depreciated.

Code:
td { background: #000000; }

for example. you'll need to specify a color, but that will change EVERY table cell, so that's probably not what you want to do. I can't tell what you want from your screen shots.

pissedoffsol said:
css doesn't use html selectors, and "transparent" is depreciated.

Code:
td { background: #000000; }

for example. you'll need to specify a color, but that will change EVERY table cell, so that's probably not what you want to do. I can't tell what you want from your screen shots.

Id just set a class for it like

Code:
.tdalt1 
{
background: #000000;
}
and then:
Code:
<td class="tdalt1">

reikoshea said:
Id just set a class for it like

Code:
.tdalt1 
{
background: #000000;
}
and then:
Code:
<td class="tdalt1">

Im sorry, I have a hard time typing when Im fuming becuase I cant figure it out.

The areas in yellow, need to be transparent or black not gray.

reikoshea - where do I input the code you gavE?

I think i know what you are talking about (FINALLY).

You'll have to remove the:

padding: 5px;

line in the body class.

Itll get rid of the black but it will shrink the size of the forum (i think).

I hadnt been to your website when i wrote that. Now that ive seen the actual code, the new thing should work.

Last edited:
reikoshea said:
I think i know what you are talking about (FINALLY).

You'll have to remove the:

line in the body class.

Itll get rid of the black but it will shrink the size of the forum (i think).

I hadnt been to your website when i wrote that. Now that ive seen the actual code, the new thing should work.

I have no idea where to put that though. I have never seen the actual coding of my site. I use the AdminCP to modify the colors and stuff. Are you familiar with Vbulletin 3.4.5?

okay, i know what you mean.

download the index.php file from your website onto your hard drive. HOPEFULLY this will be easy.

Open the file in notepad.
Find
Delete
Save
Upload

I hope VBulliten is written that way. Otherwise, its up to B, cause ive never used vbulletin, and it would take me a bit (like an hour...and i definitely dont wanna be up that much longer) to figure it completely out. If you dont figure it out before the F1 race tomorrow (11:30 Central) send me an IM at Reik0shea (thats a zero) on AIM. Ill help you out. Just create an acct for me on your server and ill take care of it.

brian11to1 said:
I dont think you can modify the index file on vbulletin. Ill try it though.

reikoshea - do you want/need admin access to the CP? Im not comfortable doing that however.

Yea, you cant change it that way. :( BBBBBBBBB help!!!!

Not asking you to do anything that would make you uncomfortable. The only thing that would allow me to help you is an admin acct on the forum.

Ive never used VBulliten, and since HS is now a VBulletin site, i figure B would be better at it than i am...BED TIME THOUGH. Gotta get up and watch Michael kick ass tomorrow.

I figured it out, thanks again.

I had to enter a color for the Table Border, I removed it and forgot I had done this.

Back