Four Wheel Drive Civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Antioc

Hey guys,

Has anyone ever done this before?

Is there any posibility of doing this?

Regards
A

This has been discussed many times. Basically it will suck if you do it. Honda does not have a good awd system. If you want awd buy a tsi or wrx.

Indeed.

If you got 20k to convert a Civic to AWD, just buy a much better car. Honda isn't the best car in the world.

It wouldn't take 20 grand, maybe 4-5k for the car, lets say another 4-6k for the crv complete front end and rear gear assembly, lets say a few more for a little custom fab work. 13k for the entire car wouldn't be bad. For that money though, I'd just bo buy a 99 2dr 2.5rs inmpreza. Thosre cars are hella fun to drive, my buddy let me drive his. Awd definitely make the car feel heavier in every respect though. Just beefier everything.

Originally posted by MikeBergy@May 10 2004, 07:42 PM
It wouldn't take 20 grand, maybe 4-5k for the car, lets say another 4-6k for the crv complete front end and rear gear assembly, lets say a few more for a little custom fab work. 13k for the entire car

again, honda makes shitty AWD platforms. CRV = good in snow

Imprezra RS = good handling care. there is a diffrence.

Just like EVO does not equal JEEP, both are 4wd but they stop there.

honda makes a AWD civic. its the Civic FERIO. its the same deal as the CRV transfer case its only a 10% power to the rear. and thats ONLY when the fron slips. there are wayyyyy better awd platforms.

if you want AWD but a scoobie

yeah if you want awd you should go with the evo or the scoobie :)

honda tuning is doing, or was doing an awd teg...

and i agree that there are better awd setups... but this sounds like a fun custom fab project... all depends on how much money you have, your reasons for doing it, how much dedication and time do you have...

anyone can buy an awd car, but it takes a special breed to create one...
notice i didn't say a smart breed... just special...
lol
:)

i suppose its theoretically possible to switch up the gearing in the transfer case to send 50% to the rear instead of 10%... but i dunno where you would find a shop to do that...

and does anyone know for sure that the crv only sends 10% to the rear...?
i knew the civic wagons were suspossed to only send 10% but never heard that about the crv's

Originally posted by 97hatch@May 11 2004, 12:40 PM
you could be really diffrent and fab a awd dsm driveline in there

Oh yeah, it's that easy. Just throw a DSM driveline in there. Piece of cake. Weekend swap. Shit, you don't even have to be sober to do it!

Talk is cheap. Saying something can be done is a lot easier than researching it and then actually doing it. Automotive technology has advanced to the point where, for you, the average joe making somewhere in the five figures a year range, if it hasn't been done, you most likely can't afford to have it engineered for your own car.

And no, you can't "switch the gearing to send 50% power to the rear." First off, the viscous center diff limits the ammount of power, and there's not a goddamn thing you can do about that other than cutting it out completely, but then the driveline will bind up whenever you turn, and that rear diff that's only designed to handle ~25 HP will explode into a million and one pieces. Not a million. A million and one. Ask me how I know.

Loco, you could use the dimensions of the center diff and design a new one using solid works or pro-e, then have a good cnc shop manufacture it for you. same with the rear pumpin as well. :)

One thing I've daydreamed about often is making a hybrid AWD Civic. attach a wheel motor to each of the rear trailing arms, store a big ol' battery pack where the spare tire goes, then write a sweet control program for the whole thing. Think of the benefits: all-electric for around town, brake regen for increased battery life, and a smart AWD system just when you need it.
Of course, you'd have to fabricate the motor system completely, and need a whole helluva lot of experience with electronics. And lotsa money for batteries, motors, and converters. Which is why this will remain nothing more than a pipe dream for me...

but at least you have pipew dreams. Some people just can't think for themselves enough to innovate to reach their goals. Everyone's got to have a hobbee, otherwise just kill yourself cuz life won't be getting any sweeter.

while we're at it, you could always swap bodies with an awd talon. seems about as logical as swapping in a dsm driveline. :roll:

Originally posted by MikeBergy@May 11 2004, 05:46 PM
Loco, you could use the dimensions of the center diff and design a new one using solid works or pro-e, then have a good cnc shop manufacture it for you. same with the rear pumpin as well. :)

The cost of cutting a one off helical ring and pinion gear would give you a heart attack. Let me give you a hint- it's in the low to mid four figure range. And that still won't solve the undersized diff problem. CNC a housing? About that price, too. The fact that you throw around immense engineering tasks like they're no more difficult than whittling pices of wood shows that you really have no idea what's involved.

Again I state- if it hasn't been done yet, it can't be done cost effectively. Yes, it can and has been done. Is it worth it? The fact that the drag scene isn't being overrun with AWD Civics should be your answer.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+May 11 2004, 01:32 PM-->
@May 11 2004, 12:40 PM
you could be really diffrent and fab a awd dsm driveline in there

Oh yeah, it's that easy. Just throw a DSM driveline in there. Piece of cake. Weekend swap. Shit, you don't even have to be sober to do it!

Talk is cheap. Saying something can be done is a lot easier than researching it and then actually doing it. Automotive technology has advanced to the point where, for you, the average joe making somewhere in the five figures a year range, if it hasn't been done, you most likely can't afford to have it engineered for your own car.

And no, you can't "switch the gearing to send 50% power to the rear." First off, the viscous center diff limits the ammount of power, and there's not a goddamn thing you can do about that other than cutting it out completely, but then the driveline will bind up whenever you turn, and that rear diff that's only designed to handle ~25 HP will explode into a million and one pieces. Not a million. A million and one. Ask me how I know.

nah, DSMs suck anyways.

im gonna throw ATESSA-Pro in my teg in about 2 min. the install said it should only be about a 45min deal.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+May 12 2004, 12:53 PM-->
MikeBergy
@May 11 2004, 05:46 PM
Loco, you could use the dimensions of the center diff and design a new one using solid works or pro-e, then have a good cnc shop manufacture it for you. same with the rear pumpin as well.  :)

The cost of cutting a one off helical ring and pinion gear would give you a heart attack. Let me give you a hint- it's in the low to mid four figure range. And that still won't solve the undersized diff problem. CNC a housing? About that price, too. The fact that you throw around immense engineering tasks like they're no more difficult than whittling pices of wood shows that you really have no idea what's involved.

Again I state- if it hasn't been done yet, it can't be done cost effectively. Yes, it can and has been done. Is it worth it? The fact that the drag scene isn't being overrun with AWD Civics should be your answer.

Obviously, I am not the most skilled engineer on the planet. I agree that it would be a lot of money. But I plan on investing in a Haas mill in the very near future, and I have access to 2 of them here at the university. It certainly isn't a good way to go if you have no knowledge of the subject, but then why would you be trying to custom fab your car anyway? You either have to posess the skills, or the resources; aka money, engineering friends, or friends who do cnc work and custom fabrication. I don't have the money right now, but I dow have all the other resources, and I am working toward an engineering degree. Plus, it is not like I am building an idea from scratch, there are plenty of other differential mfr's, and it is easy to look at there products and design my own based on the research other companies have done. Anyway, like I said, it is nice that people have dreams and that a few people actually reach their dreams and enjoy sharing their accomplishments with others.

i 've seen a civic with a dsm motorand diff but all he would do was just blow motor mounts he could never hit it

Back