Free Cam!?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Harms Way

I have a 99 civic with an AEM cam gear, no cam, I/H/E and skunk 2 intake manifold. I was offered a FREE, yes, FREE Zex camshaft from a friend, and he is very trustworthy. the cam has been in two seperate cars, one before his (wasnt in that car for very long at all) and his car, 93 del sol, (for maybe...maybe 2000 or a lil more miles.) I was wondering if there could possibly be anything wrong with the cam? Is there anything that could actually BE wrong with it? worping or bad lobes? something? i dunno much in this area, but it was offered to me for free and i was just curious if there could be anything wrong with a twice used cam.

The first car was a pretty built SOHC motorand he went with the stage 2, thats why he got rid of it.

(Friends car) (the del sol, SOHC VTEC) puts almost 135 hp to the wheels with just that cam, AEM cam gear, header and exhaust, no AC or PS. dyno proven.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Wow, almost 40 people looked at this post, but no replies. Will the Zex camshaft that fits on a D16Z6 motor fit onto my D16Y8? uhmm...thanks in advance

z6 and y8 cams will interchange.

cams can warp, get worn down, and could be marred up. honestly, the low mileage is meaningless- its the out-of-car sotrage i'd be more worried about.

if its too big, it could require some vlve train components.

sounds like the zex/comp cams 59100 for the z6. they'll interchange but the cam timing would be off a tooth and that is close to 3 degrees or so. so i recommend degreeing your cam if you get that cam. check for any excessive wear on the lobes. put in the holder and spin it a few times. and then platigage that mug.

no valve train is needed/recommended by zex for this particular cam.

Back