1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free legend, I need help to fix it...

Discussion in 'NSX, TSX, RL, TL, CL' started by get_nick, Dec 8, 2007.

1. get_nick

get_nick These snozzberries taste like snozzberries... VIP

so my friend has a 1991 acura legend his wife wants him to get rid of. it's an automatic, decent body, but just needs it off the road. not sure on miles, we didn't discuss it much. It has a dead battery (not a problem) but there is one problem.

The speedometer spins randomly. it doesn't match the vehicle speed. I guess it just jumps erratically. what would cause something like this and is it an expensive fix?

2. Jeef

Jeef NO MA'AM Moderator VIP

If you need the speedometer then buy a tomtom 1 for 150 bucks. Its tells you how fast you are going, which so far has been about the same or 1-2mph under what the speedometer was saying. Just keep up with the flow of traffic and you'll be fine. With the dubs on my truck the speedo was off by about 5mph. I never had any problems. For a beater car I wouldn't put a lot of money into it, unless you need to for inspection.
    I don't know if it is like Civics but there is a cable that goes into the tranny. I would check to see if the gear is in good shape or if it is seated right. I think that there is a clip that holds it in place, its been so long I don't remember.

3. get_nick

well, the plan is to fix it and sell it. hopefully get $3k out of it. i want to make sure it's running right.

4. nootrac22

nootrac22 Well-Known Member VIP

I'd start by checking/ replacing the spedo cable. Would the VSS throw a code? Finally replace cluster.

5. formby

formby learning in progress

sounds like it could be a signal problem or the cable is loose.

6. klyph

klyph Dismember VIP

Either the cable or the gauge itself is probably worn out. Start with the cable.

7. get_nick

i'll get on it. that would be a fun little flip.

8. Z6CRX

Z6CRX übber ɐɾuıu etarip

you could always hook up a volt meter to the vss and drive the car to find out if that is the problem. Then make sure theres no cut or protrusions in the wire.
    Use a mechanical rather than the digital, for this case, its easier to see spikes, and it can double as your speedo :ph34r:.

9. Swift

Swift DIY god

Its the VSS. you can replace just the electrical part on top vs the whole unit. If the D4 light starts to flash it is defienantly your prob.

good luck.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted