Free legend, I need help to fix it...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

get_nick

These snozzberries taste like snozzberries...
VIP
so my friend has a 1991 acura legend his wife wants him to get rid of. it's an automatic, decent body, but just needs it off the road. not sure on miles, we didn't discuss it much. It has a dead battery (not a problem) but there is one problem.

The speedometer spins randomly. it doesn't match the vehicle speed. I guess it just jumps erratically. what would cause something like this and is it an expensive fix?

If you need the speedometer then buy a tomtom 1 for 150 bucks. Its tells you how fast you are going, which so far has been about the same or 1-2mph under what the speedometer was saying. Just keep up with the flow of traffic and you'll be fine. With the dubs on my truck the speedo was off by about 5mph. I never had any problems. For a beater car I wouldn't put a lot of money into it, unless you need to for inspection.
I don't know if it is like Civics but there is a cable that goes into the tranny. I would check to see if the gear is in good shape or if it is seated right. I think that there is a clip that holds it in place, its been so long I don't remember.

well, the plan is to fix it and sell it. hopefully get $3k out of it. i want to make sure it's running right.

I'd start by checking/ replacing the spedo cable. Would the VSS throw a code? Finally replace cluster.

i'll get on it. that would be a fun little flip.

i'll get on it. that would be a fun little flip.
you could always hook up a volt meter to the vss and drive the car to find out if that is the problem. Then make sure theres no cut or protrusions in the wire.
Use a mechanical rather than the digital, for this case, its easier to see spikes, and it can double as your speedo :ph34r:.

Its the VSS. you can replace just the electrical part on top vs the whole unit. If the D4 light starts to flash it is defienantly your prob.

good luck.

Back