FreeNAS

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sabz5150

FALCON PUNCH!!!
FreeNAS: The Free NAS Server - Home

Amazing tool. The best way to setup and deploy networked storage. The web interface is both flexable and easy to use. I went from zero to server in a bit under 15 minutes. It even installs within 16 megs of space so it can be booted from a CF card (hey, one more drive on the network!).

I could go on singing this thing's praises

this isnt really what nas is but ok. why the hell would you be setting up a nas on some elses network? do you really want to store your files say on my computer for me to copy?

Last edited:
vtecsir1 said:
this isnt really what nas is but ok. why the hell would you be setting up a nas on some elses network? do you really want to store your files say on my computer for me to copy?

What with the who? This thing is a standalone file server.

(Network Attached Storage) A specialized file server that connects to the network. A NAS device contains a slimmed-down operating system and a file system and processes only I/O requests by supporting the popular file sharing protocols, primarily CIFS for Windows and NFS for Unix.

The NAS concept originated in the early 1990s for computer-aided-design (CAD) and other applications that generated huge data files. File servers with full-blown operating systems have sometimes been called network attached storage, but a true NAS can perform no task other than I/O.

Using traditional LAN protocols such as TCP/IP over Ethernet, the NAS enables additional storage to be quickly added by plugging it into a network hub or switch. As network transmission rates have increased from Ethernet to Fast Ethernet to Gigabit Ethernet, NAS devices have come up to speed parity with direct attached storage devices. See NAS gateway, SAN and NetApp Filer.

yes it is a file server but normally a file server within your own network.

vtecsir1 said:
(Network Attached Storage) A specialized file server that connects to the network. A NAS device contains a slimmed-down operating system and a file system and processes only I/O requests by supporting the popular file sharing protocols, primarily CIFS for Windows and NFS for Unix.

The NAS concept originated in the early 1990s for computer-aided-design (CAD) and other applications that generated huge data files. File servers with full-blown operating systems have sometimes been called network attached storage, but a true NAS can perform no task other than I/O.

Using traditional LAN protocols such as TCP/IP over Ethernet, the NAS enables additional storage to be quickly added by plugging it into a network hub or switch. As network transmission rates have increased from Ethernet to Fast Ethernet to Gigabit Ethernet, NAS devices have come up to speed parity with direct attached storage devices. See NAS gateway, SAN and NetApp Filer.

yes it is a file server but normally a file server within your own network.

I have absolutely no clue what you are on about... My freenas server is six feet away on my network. What are you on?

i didnt bother to read the site, i thought it was supplying a nas on an outside server. old ass technology anyway i dont know what you are so excited about?

yeah. NAS is being phased out by file storage that doesnt suck.

the one we have at Access, supports long filenames but doesnt let you delete the file unless you rename it to the 8.3 convention.

needless to say i pulled that shit and put it on ebay for some funds.

TurboMirage said:
yeah. NAS is being phased out by file storage that doesnt suck.

the one we have at Access, supports long filenames but doesnt let you delete the file unless you rename it to the 8.3 convention.

needless to say i pulled that shit and put it on ebay for some funds.

What in the Gods' names? It won't let you delete files unless they are eight-three? What kind of crap is that?!

NAS is hardly being phased out. Certain types of NAS are, but not the concept in itself. If it's a file server, it's network storage.

What makes freenas beautiful is it takes almost no time to get moving. One of those 'getcha out of a bind quick' things.

even better the unit is only like 3 years old.

gotta love iomega. i hope they die.

TurboMirage said:
even better the unit is only like 3 years old.

gotta love iomega. i hope they die.

With crap like that, I agree. They shouldn't have fucked up with the Zip drives... they'd be in a whole different place.

yeah but alot of those zip drives were indestructable and saved college kids alot of money at the time. plus they were cheap and easy to use.

college kids like me that had a built in zip in my dell the school gave me. it was better than saving to cds every time since my files were too big for floppys.

i purchased and setup a nas for a company i was contracted by a couple years ago and they are still using it today but if you have a normal server at your company i just dont see the point.

TurboMirage said:
yeah but alot of those zip drives were indestructable and saved college kids alot of money at the time. plus they were cheap and easy to use.

Two little words became the quick downfall of Iomega and the otherwise bad ass Zip drive.

Click death.

CRX-YEM said:
I'm with Sabz51050 FreeNAS is the shit

One thing I will point out, since there's someone else that uses it.

Do NOT use an ext filesystem on FreeNAS.

The system will recognize, mount and use the drive just fine until it's not cleanly unmounted and then you've got trouble. FreeNAS doesn't include an fsck binary for ext filesystems. So basically the system sees a broken filesystem, won't fix it and won't mount it.

UFS with soft for the win on FreeNAS.

I was highly unaware of the ext filesystem problems , good thing it's still in the lab running on a test network.

Yeah... imagine the bricks I was shitting when my 250gig chock to the hilt with anime told me "Invalid Superblock".

Lesson learned.

Back