Freon

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

endlesszeal

Hey guys, i was debating on freon with a friend on which form it comes in.. he said liquid, and i stubbornly said powder.. i was told it was powder, but i looked it up and it said liquid or gas.. now i feel like an ass.. but does anyone know if it does come in a powder? and which system is better, R12 or R134?

r134 is supposed to be better, also better for the environment. r12 is old, they dont use that in newer cars. i dont know about the powdered freon part, never seen it in that form.

Freon is most commonly available in a liquid form, such as air conditioner freon. I've also heard of it being used as a sheilding gas for welding.

Under pressure it is in liquid form, like propane.

R12 AC systems run at a much higher pressure, and because of that, the systems leak. Hence the EPA not liking it. That's one of the main reasons for the manditory switch to R134a. R22 is used in commercial and residential AC.

Basically, freon is not a powder and I am not aware of any uses for a powdered freon when it is mainly used as a refridgerant.

thanks guys.. i guess i am an ass for arguing it was a powder. also, i believe EPA isnt happy because it contains chlorine? either way, R134 costs a shit load compared to R12, but i hear people saying that older R12 cars are way cooler than new ones.. myth or fact?

lol, you should just stop talking about r12 and r134a
as again you've been miss informed.

you can buy about 3lbs or r134a from pepboys with a recharge kit for under $50
were r12 goes for hundreds of dollars per pound. needless to say you need a licsence to buy it.

Back