fried distributor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dmxbmx

i put a gsr motor in my 94 del sol..and im currently running a p28 computer...but i have one problem...i keep frying the distrubitors....i thought maby beacuse i have ctr pistons and cams the stock distrubitor wasnt enough so i got a msd...but it still blew...i need help

pistons and cams will not affect electronics.

What in your distributor are you blowing up?

Coil? Ignitor? Sensors? Rotor?

Which piece of your distributor keeps getting fried will tell a lot about what is wrong with your car.

I second the "check grounds" idea. Additionally, are you replacing just the ignitor with a new module or are you getting a used/rebuilt distributor?

How many have you had fail?
How often are they failing?
How high do you rev your motor?
Do you do a lot of endurance racing/track racing where the motor sees high revs and high temperatures for extended periods of time?

I'm guessing that you are cooking them - mounting the ignitor module inside the distributor means all the heat from the head is transmitted to the ignitor module.

Have you tried replacing just the ignitor with a brand new unit from honda? I've also heard that the ignitor modules from honda CBR600 bikes are electrically compatible with the ones in our distributors, and also feature much improved circuitry in order to be able to handle the higher revving bikes.

Also, you may want to consider relocating the ignitor outside of the distributor. The 4 wires inside the distrib would obviously have to be extended through the cap, and you'd probably want to use shielding. Mounting the ignitor in some form of sealed/heatsinked enclosure on the firewall would probably help a lot.

Good luck.

Back