Fried PSU? man, alot of computer problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

Yesterday, my computer just cut off for no reason. It "tried" to restart, but would cut off again. I could smell "electrical" smoke from the PSU exhaust fan(I found out the system fan was down, but the CPU, northbridge, and GPU fans are fine), I reinstalled the heatsink on the cpu, but problem persist. I kept track of the temp; the CPU was only at 39*C when it turned off. I opened the computer and set it sideways; and sniffed around to try to find where the smell is coming from. Anyways, it smells like its coming from the PSU; its a Antec 4xxW unit....is this common? or could it be something else?

Last edited:
nvm, found out the problem was 4 burn out pins on the ATX connector. WTH would cause this?

Anyone selling a socket-A motherboard and a +300W PSU? :p

i think its probably an old and no name brand psu that just ate the shitter. my parents emachine did the same thing.

stick with name brands like antec, enermax, thermaltake, etc... with a good 12v to avoid future crap outs.

Nope, case was closed and never opened for a few months. PSU=Antec 300W, mobo=Gigabyte GA-7VAXP. I'll get a pic of the ATX socket and connector later.

Back