Friend needs hep...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

daemonkron

My friend recently purchased an 95 civic for 4k with a homemade turbo kit on it. Hes got the sohc non-vtech motor with like a turbo off a probe or something. Everyday his hotpipe falls off and most of his piping is rubber hose. Is there anything he can do cheaply to get some REAL piping in there and maybe a better turbo off a different car? Thanks

:eek:

the turbo is fine.
in fact, rubber piping is fine. most oem turbo cars use a rubber charge pipe.
its the clamps that are probably causing him problem.

check out aptturbo.com and get some t-bolt clamps in the right size.

VTEC VTEC VTEC VTEC VTEC VTEC VTEC VTEC

wtf is a hot pipe?
the downpipe? or the air feed on the outlet of the compressor housing?

define real piping? rubber works just fine, but if you're looking for hard tubes then just about any metal tubing will work
get an intercooler tubing kit, or just get some straight and mandrel bent 90's and a shit load of high heat silicone connectors...

he can EASILY switch to any other turbo that has the same flange as he has... if he's not sure what car its off of then he should start there
diffrent turbos have diffrent flanges so swapping could turn into a real cluster fuck for your friend
why doesn;t he just keep that turbo? what does he want more boost/psi? there is an internal wastegate that can be adjusted but i take no responsibility for you or your friend popping his motor...
what tuning does he have? before he starts talking about more boost he should make sure he's got his fuel managment down very well or else he's asking for a blown motor... you can easily increase horsepower by upgrading fuel managment instead of trying to swap turbos and hardlines and all that shit...

hot pipe = charge pipe = i/c to throttle body

From the description give I am going to guess the the downpipe is coming off the hotside of the turbo. A quick fix would be to use a lot of zip ties and duct tape :rainfro: But, seriously if you go to a exhaust shop they could fab you a need pipe that would bolt correctly to the turbo, and it should be fairly inexpensive. If you want a better turbo from a stockish car check this list; I would recommend a turbo from a saab (turbo is usually a t3).

The List

hot pipe = charge pipe = i/c to throttle body

lol
that makes no sense

shouldn't it be the COLD pipe since its coming from the interCOOLer...
lol

:D

i was just assuming he was completely ignorant and was describing the pipe as hot which would be the downpipe or the post compressor pipe

probe turbo is meant for a stock 2.2 liter motor with 8.8:1 compression if i remember correctly, this should be large enough for your application, no need for a new turbo...
does he want to sell the setup off the car?
A quick fix would be to use a lot of zip ties and duct tape

you are a c-c-c-crackhead
lol
:)

Actually its the pipe leading from the turbo to the intercooler. It's a term another friend of mine used...didn't know the difference. Thanks for the advice. Ill tell him about the fuel management. It's not that he wants more boost he just wants things to be clean instead of looking like a smog factory. By the way. the kids got a 4' frontmount.

4 feet? or 4 inch thick?
either way it sounds FUCKING huge for that turbo
he must have lag out the ass with that thing

hmmm, so when he gets boost its blowing the pipe off?
is the intercooler new? and of good quality?
either your connections/clamps are shit, which is very likely, or it could be that the intercooler is clogged and creating too much pressure causing the tubing to blow off, or perhaps the wastegate isn;t operating correctly also allowing too much boost...
either way it sounds like you need to upgrade your connections, and it would be a good idea to make sure the intercooler isn't a big pile of shit...

and he wants it to be clean?
look to upgrade the manifold? well, what kind does he have, homemade? or aftermarket? get a clean looking manifold, degrease the turbo, then you can try and polish it or paint it, paint will most likely NOT last due to high temps, but high temp paint might last a lil longer...

Back