From B16 To Ls/vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

awesome then i saved some money there then. that was the main thing i was worried about......

i dont have to rebore it right? because oversize pistons are expensive......

Originally posted by pills_PMD@May 27 2003, 07:32 PM
i was saying me:)

and i have it 81.25 mm bore

and raisini .. you'll need to rebore it a little to clean up the walls i guarantee it.

give up the idea of using your pr3 pistons.. i had to.. get pr3 .25 mm over ones

it's been noted. i'll look into an overbore, i'll do my research on it.
i think i got what i needed from this post. i will try to do more research and post some more intelligent questions.

also, what do guys think of this deal.
i found a B18A shortblock for $100, but it has 1 bent rod. other than that the guy said it's in good shape.

i've been looking for a good donor block but it's hard to come accross a good priced one. everyone wants like $350-up for not even a complete shortblock.

Wondering about the crank. Do you have to balance the crank, or is it ok stock. Since the original redline on the ls is around 7k and your new redline is going to be 8k. <_<

also, what do guys think of this deal.
i found a B18A shortblock for $100, but it has 1 bent rod. other than that the guy said it's in good shape.

I woldnt mess with that.
Too many what ifs, spend a tad more money and get something more sound.

id take it to at most, stock overbore of 81.5mm, or sleeve it to 84.5 mm max. the 85 and 86mm overbores are way over kill for what you want out of the car, and will only lead to trouble.

the crank from the factory is not balanced- but the crank pulley acts as the harmonic balancer. by deisgn, the I4 is NOT a balanced motor. http://www.e31.net/engines_e.html

has anyone run into a good article on the bore of an engine. what i mean is, i want to better understand what the affects of an overbore are. i want to see the advantages and disadvantages of different bore sizes.

any links or article would help. i will try looking for them as well and i will post my findings too.

thanx.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 28 2003, 04:01 AM
id take it to at most, stock overbore of 81.5mm, or sleeve it to 84.5 mm max. the 85 and 86mm overbores are way over kill for what you want out of the car, and will only lead to trouble.

Why?

Originally posted by lsvtec@May 27 2003, 08:38 PM
A block guard won't do anything for the "increased" sidewall loading caused by a low (notice I didn't say bad) R/S ratio. The GSR runs 1.58:1 and the LS runs 1.54:1, not a significant difference.

werd. whats perfect r/s ratio? 1.75? and i can rev my gsr engine to 8000 all day long and its stock...i take it higher (to rev limit of 8200) rarely...so i think theres no problem with that. would the r/s of the grs be considered bad by some people? cause it seems fine to me if it can rev that high with no work. so im my head, the ls with a SLIGHTLY lower r/s should be fine at that rpm with a little work. sorry if i didnt really make sense, it was jus all jumbled in my head, lol

Back