From B20 to lsvtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bambam

I'm on my 3rd motor now on my crx. I've decided to build an LSVTEC this time. I've got everything for it. Here's the list of stuff i had to pick up and it's price:
91 Integra LS B18a block-$100
00 B16a2 head w/ B16a2 Intake Manifold/Throttle body-$400 + trade used safc
ITR/GSR water pump-$42.18
ITR/GSR Timing belt-$22.90
P72 (96+ teg) Oil pump- 94.94 (hondaautomotiveparts.com)
98 GSR cams-$90
D16y8 knock sensor-Free
ARP GSR headstuds-$115
Integra LS headgasket-$30
OBD0 PR3 Skunk2 chipped B16 ecu-$50 + work
Full-Race.com vtec conversion kit-$92
ITR knock off 4-1 header w/ 2.5 inch collector-$93 (ebay is great)

Total: $1130.02 + used safc + work

The setup will be:
00 B16a2 head/Intake/TB
91 B18a1 block
B16 SiR Y1 tranny w/ LSD-already had from last motor
Exedy stg. 2 clutch/PP-already had from last motor
GSR cams
AEM adj. cam gears-already had from last motor
B&M FPR+Gauge-already had from last motor
4-1 header w/ 2.5 inch collector-already had from last motor
2.5 inch catco cat-already had from last motor
2.5 inch mandrel bent piping/muffler-already had from last motor
injen short ram/cold air-already had from last motor

I'm running the stock LS pistons. Compression will be around 9.6:1. I'm hoping for 13.9-14.2 1/4. Think that it's achievable with this setup? (don't forget i have the GSR cams and Y1 LSD tranny!) I'm hoping for 160 WHP and at least 125 ft/lbs of TQ.

I've got a set of 3 B16 PR3 pistons...lol...so I'm missing one, but i'll throw those in with a different block. I'm going to build another block on the side this winter w/ PR3 pistons, LS rods, hastings rings, acl bearings, and ARP rod bolts.

So far i have:
cleaned the block/head stud holes, pistons, cylinders, and drained motor
cleaned out oil pan and installed new oil pan gasket
painted the block aluminum silver (i don't want to hear it)
installed GSR water pump, P72 oil pump and GSR belt
put on alternator + belt
installed lower timing cover and crank pulley

I installed the ARP's until they bottomed out, then i spun them back a full turn so they were still loose/hand tight, as per ARP's instructions.
I drilled the upper alternator bracket bolt out using a 27/64th's drill bit. You're supposed to use a 10.9mm drill bit. But, i cross referenced it and the 27/64 is the closest. Actually, it's just a tad smaller so it works out perfect.
I have to go buy a 12x1.25 tap and a 1/8 NPT tap soon. Everywhere i went, they were out of the two. Damn.

Still need to do:
modify ls headgasket dowel holes to 14mm.
tap block for knock sensor and install it.
Assemble the head to the block.

I will have pics available soon. The motor is on the engine stand right now.

PICS:
motor_build_001.jpg

motor_build_002.jpg

motor_build_003.jpg

motor_build_004.jpg

motor_build_005.jpg

motor_build_006.jpg

motor_build_007.jpg

motor_build_008.jpg

I'm looking into putting her on the road buy Nov 15th.

You can get to those quarter mile times if you're light enough.

The power goals are doable with some decent tuning, although that torque figure may be a bit high- but try it and see. Good luck!

Quoted post[/post]]
howd you get that p72 for under $100?

https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/j...TRAINER+%282%29

Part number 2.

Quoted post[/post]]
You can get to those quarter mile times if you're light enough.

The power goals are doable with some decent tuning, although that torque figure may be a bit high- but try it and see. Good luck!

It's in an 88 crx dx (lightest 4th gen except for 88 HF). I have a Carbon Fiber hood for weight reduction, but that is negated with the rear disc swap. Motor adds about 100 pounds more. Vehicle weighs just under 1900 pounds dry. I weighed it at the track with me in it at about 2150. (I weigh 190 lbs.)

I need to do some weight reduction on myself...lol.

you have the same set up i have...in a 91 std crx...the 1/4 mile time in my sig was with a loose xmember and bfg drag radials...and it was my second time out in the track....with horrible 60' 2.+

ive had pr3 pistons in the same engine and it was a little monster in my 90ls....broke a ring landing (bacause i used obd2b injectors) and went to the pr4 pistons and nitrous....but i havent gone to the track....on the street i only used a 60 shot from 65-140 +/- mph on a toll road for like 9-11 sec and it was great... i dont think the speed in 100% accurate but my friend was watching the tach and speedo......

the only differences we have are....
i have a b16 intake cam and a grs exhaust cam,
block is 81.5
fucuz header $99.00,
chipped pr3 ecu...
oem b16 lightened flywheel
3puck excedy clutch
2.25 resonated exhaust with fart can

you'll enjoy that setup alot...the only thing i worry about are the valve reliefs on the ls pistons.....and i dont have lsd..the good thing about your set up is that you can mildly boost (like a stock ls) or use nitrous....and you still get a better launch than a similar gsr set up...

got ya...didnt click that you just forgot to hit enter when you listed a new part.

Pics are now up...

But i'm seriously contemplating sending her off to the machine shop while it's already out. Im getting a quote tomorrow on:
Install PR3 pistons (stock for all they know)
Install new rings (HASTINGS OR OEM?)
Install new rod bearings (ACL OR OEM?)
Install new rod bolts (ARP)
Hone cylinders
Balance rotating assembly.

Anything else that should be taken care of while it's apart? What is a good price to pay for all of that work?

Back