1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From CRV onto Rav4

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by reckedracing, Dec 3, 2018.

1. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

You have any more information to share on this?
    They asked how many miles I drove and I estimated high at about 20k a year. (Always had 2 cars so I'm not 100% sure how many miles I actually drive in a year, but I think I'm close.)
    They wanted to sell me a 10year/100k warranty but it made no sense if I do 20k a year, so they priced out a 5 year 100k bumper to bumper at ONLY $1636.
    I chuckled and politely declined. I've got 1 year 12k bumper to bumper standard with purchase I believe, so I've got a year to investigate and price out the longer warranty.

I bought a Toyota for reliability so I'm not expecting to need a warranty for at least 5/100k but the technology and gadgets on the new cars is making me curious how much I can get a decent warranty for.

TurboMirage likes this.
  2. D16Civic

D16Civic Matt VIP

Maybe I'm wrong but aren't most factory warranties 3yr/36k bumper to bumper nowadays?

3. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

Congrats on the new ride. Make me change my mind about rav 4's :D

4. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

I'm mostly a "10 over" type of driver these days, unless its a major highway with a faster flow of traffic. Every point jacks your insurance 10% in NY.

the old cop saying...
    "9 you're fine, 10 you're mine?"

5. get_nick

get_nick These snozzberries taste like snozzberries... VIP

Yes. Let me check my emails and I'll send it to you directly. There's a LOT of info online about the history of people buying the warranties and Toyota basically making it so you can only buy them in state at a dealer. What a bunch of crap. I actually made a whole spreadsheet about the buying decision and cost impacts of it.

If you decide to buy one, let me know before you go. The contact I have is located in the Northeast. I was going to post on here to see if someone wanted to make some extra money for a short road trip, but if you go, maybe you can do two. I'm debating if I want to get one for my truck. IDK if I want to keep the truck or sell it when/if the new Ranger Raptor comes out.

Here are the prices I was given. I've got to get to my home computer for the rest of the info.

6. get_nick

get_nick These snozzberries taste like snozzberries... VIP

One thing that annoyed me was stuff like the Costco discount. While Costco does a GREAT no-haggle price with partner dealerships, they would look at other dealerships for the vehicle you wanted. One time I found the sister dealership was actually offering the vehicle for $100 less than the Costco price. lol

The other thing I learned while shopping is that dealerships have so many bonuses and incentives, they can simply sell for a cheaper price and maintain margins if they are a top dealer with high sales.

For example, why is this one https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/746209335/overview/ $3,000 cheaper than this one https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/744922225/overview/? For a 177 mile drive, someone could save $3,000 right off the bat.

7. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

Agreed.
    I ended up pricing out a 2018 XLE leftover for 3889 off MSRP including the 1250 toyota cash incentive.
    I have a client that works at the local dealership, so I sent them the price and they could not beat it, actually came back at $700 worse.
    Of the 5 prices I got, they were the 4th best. By the time I got back to the original dealership they had already sold the 2018 I wanted.

My $200 over invoice happened to be the largest dealership in the area, having over 600 cars on the lot, where most have 200-300.
    The local dealership ended up matching it, which I was very surprised about, but it saved me an hour+ drive, and gave my client the business.

Car dealerships are the same as everywhere else, buy in bulk and get a discount from the manufacturer. Pass the savings along and undercut the competition.
    I think most local dealers only stay in business thanks to uninformed and/or lazy customers.

totalburnout likes this.
  8. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

We do this with trucks. Higher volume = marketing funds, sales allowances, etc. Big boys get lots of benefits. Small dealers make hay on fleet vehicles.

9. corvetteguy78

corvetteguy78 Well-Known Member VIP

I just traded in my 4Runner on Saturday for a 2019 Rav 4 Adventure with a $37K price tag down to $34k after all said and done. This thing is incredible, i can't believe how many features this thing has. All the blind spot detection features and auto braking system, adaptive cruise,heated steering wheel, heated and cooled seats, sunroof, all the off road settings, blue illuminated interior lights under the dash. It has a freaking app where i can remote start my car from anywhere as well as lock and unlock and tells is how much gas i have left and my range to empty. I just started playing with all this stuff. Its mind blowing. Really hoping to hit the 25mpg minimum. I've only got like 200 miles on the car and I am at 21.4mpg so far. Taking it to CT to PA tomorrow. Stoked to see what this car can get for MPGs. And it is pretty peppy with that 203HP, i was surprised by that.

same car pretty much

https://www.fayettevilleautopark.com/detail-2019-toyota-rav4-adventure_awd-new-18526618.html

Briansol likes this.
  10. D16Civic

D16Civic Matt VIP

How the mighty have fallen...

totalburnout likes this.
  11. Briansol

Lol

All those cool features.... that remove us from doing the thing we love: driving.

12. Briansol

My old ass is ready for some of that too.

13. D16Civic

D16Civic Matt VIP

Was gonna get a Ram in the fall but I may actually be leaning toward the new Jeep Gladiator with a manual trans at this point.

14. Jeef

Jeef NO MA'AM Moderator VIP

The features also add too much cost and too much stuff to break.

E_SolSi likes this.
  15. corvetteguy78

corvetteguy78 Well-Known Member VIP

Well, these hated on "features" are mostly safety features and are becoming standard equipment on cars. They also lower your insurance rates. And these hated on "features" can react faster than a human can. In today's world when half the fuckers on the road are on their cell phones, as i drive 91 north into Hartford, i am grateful for these features, especially if these other fuckers have it, because please believe me, half these fuckers driving aren't paying attention.

16. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

I'm about 3500 miles in and still track MPG the old fashioned way.
    With conservative mixed use driving I am seeing between 28-30mpg.
    Typical commute is 20 miles, country roads, max speed probably about 70, mostly smooth sailing with stop signs and such, so nothing I would consider to be "highway" but also not "city", hence mixed use.
    It dips down lower (26-28) in extremely cold weather due to warm up time/early starting.

The sport mode does offer some changes to shift points, etc. Overall makes the car more fun to drive, but I'm still trying to let the motor break in for a bit longer before really pushing it.
    1st gear is geared too low, makes a rolling stop sign into a neck jerker, would be better if the auto stayed in 2nd unless you hit absolute zero.

I upgraded for the safety features, they were a selling point. If this care can keep me from rear ending someone, or killing a pedestrian, it just saved me more in legal fees than it cost. Not that I intend to injure anyone, but no one is perfect. The older we get the slower our reaction times.
    I mostly keep the lane assist off unless I am on the highway.
    That shit is for the birds on back country roads when you typically flirt with or travel over the yellow often.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted