From D16y8 to D16y7

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DwnShftPrincess

I am in desperate need of replacing my d16y8 motor (broken piston) and i have a FREE d16y7 in good condition that I can use. What all do i have to do to change over. I plan on adding the vtec on later but do i have to change the computer and anything else?

You can just swap the motor and ecu. Too easy. I would suggest keeping your Y8 tranny though cuzz it's got a little better gearing. Your axles, mounts, everything will just bolt up. I don't know if you have an intake, but the manifolds are different so you'd have to use the Y7 one. That's it.

put you vtec head on now dont change your ecu and you will be good to go. if you dont you need to change you iacv wiring and some thing else that i dont renber

werd. if you broke a rod and your head is still in good condition, just slap the y8 head onto the y7 and keep your old ECU. Youll be good to go (its not that simple, but it is indeed simple).

My head isn't any good. piston #1 is stuck and there has been some sort of unusual contact between the pistons and the valves that caused indentions in the metal of the pistons and valves. So the valves aren't any good. Since I have this fully functioning D16Y7 what type of changes have to be made? Can I use my stock computer with this motor? What kind of wiring and adjustments do I have to make?

Ditto for above. I've done a mini-me headswap on both my car D15/16Z and on an EK with the Y8 and Y7. Fairly straightforward. If the head is good- use it. Additionally if the head itself isn't good, swap the intake manifold onto the Y7 head. The Y7 manifold is stupid and used a small throttle body mounted DPFI style.

Back