Front Brake Disc Removal Q??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i have an 86 crx si and i can't for the life of me figure out how to take off the front discs to put on new ones. if anyone has any tips about gettin this done or what i have to to let me know please :)

thanx

Originally posted by ckyhimself@Aug 21 2005, 01:10 PM
i have an 86 crx si and i can't for the life of me figure out how to take off the front discs to put on new ones. if anyone has any tips about gettin this done or what i have to to let me know please :)

thanx
[post=543128]Quoted post[/post]​

all you gotta do is take off your wheel take the 2 bolts off your caliper connecting your caliper to your wheel area...should be one on top and bottom...then as for the set screws I would just drill them out...take the heads off with a drill...drill straight through it and circle around so the head comes off and hit it on the back with a hammer install the news ones....compress the piston with a seaclamp and slide the caliper back in place...PUMP THE BRAKES EVEN B4 YOU PUT THE KEY IN THE IGNITION...and drive and see how it works....make sure you try to stop acouple times while backing up

Originally posted by CiViC_SOHC+Aug 21 2005, 12:22 PM-->
ckyhimself
@Aug 21 2005, 01:10 PM

thanx
[post=543128]Quoted post[/post]​

all you gotta do is take off your wheel take the 2 bolts off your caliper connecting your caliper to your wheel area...should be one on top and bottom...then as for the set screws I would just drill them out...take the heads off with a drill...drill straight through it and circle around so the head comes off and hit it on the back with a hammer install the news ones....compress the piston with a seaclamp and slide the caliper back in place...PUMP THE BRAKES EVEN B4 YOU PUT THE KEY IN THE IGNITION...and drive and see how it works....make sure you try to stop acouple times while backing up
[post=543141]Quoted post[/post]​

well first thing to do is disregard this fucking retarted post?

1) pull the wheel
2)unbolt the caliper and hang it with tie wire out of the way.
3) use an impact driver to break the set screws loose ( if you can't aford the 15 bucks to buy one the use a large size philips screwdriver and a pair of vise grips on the shaft and push super hard and use the vise grips for leverage)
4) remove old disk and install new one with a dab of blue locktite on the set screws
5) pull the old pads, and the use a brake pad spreder to open up the caliper (open the master cylinder resovour cap)
6) clean the old anti sqeak of the inside of the caliper then apply a couple of daps of new anti sqeak install new pads
7) clean the caliper bolts and inspect them, then coat with anti seeze and install and torque them
8) bleed the brake sytem and then go around the block once or twice to make sure everything is working

he just said disc so i didn't involve the whole process sorry and don't say its a dumbass post I was just trying to help :chair:

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Aug 21 2005, 02:53 PM
first you told him to drill out the set screw? then what dont reuse them?
[post=543156]Quoted post[/post]​

You don't need the screws. If you round them off when trying to get them out, just drill them out and leave them off. All the screws do is hold the rotor to the hub to make it easier for reinstallation. They aren't necessary pieces of equipment.

http://www.offtopicz.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=597

Those are my new rotors, the driver side we got the screws out, the passenger side we rounded them and drilled them out.

well when the car is up on a lift and you pull the caliper when that disk fals and cracks then youll say you nedded them

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Aug 21 2005, 03:02 PM
well when the car is up on a lift and you pull the caliper when that disk fals and cracks then youll say you nedded them
[post=543167]Quoted post[/post]​

I had no problem with it. The lug nut bolts are long enough to prevent the rotor from slipping off.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Aug 21 2005, 03:34 PM
seen it happen and if you can get them off and reuse them why not
[post=543178]Quoted post[/post]​

yes I agree if you CAN get them off...i broke both of my driver heads for my impact driver trying to get my screws off...so anyways thank you 2000si for understanding what I was talking about your don't NEED the screws and after time they are gonna stick on the hub like your old rotors did anyways...and im sorry but if the rotor falls on your head becuase you were careful or it falls on the floor its your own fault for not thinking things through

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Aug 21 2005, 03:34 PM
seen it happen and if you can get them off and reuse them why not
[post=543178]Quoted post[/post]​

My point WAS... if the screws round off when you're trying to get them off then you DO NOT NEED to put them back on. Simple as that.

I reused the ones on my driver side rears, but rounded and drilled out the passenger side ones. I've yet to notice anything different. The rotors stayed on when we put the caliper and bracket back on. It just made it a weeee bit more difficult to do so, but if it's that hard, have someone stand there and hold it on until you get the bracket back together.

Back