front end knock ST swaybar?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dark93DX

A week ago saturday I installed front and rear sway bars on my 93 DX hatch, I didnt drive the car much so the suspension might not have settled, then on the following monday I had new rims and tires put on.

At first I didnt hear anything, my guess is that the suspension was still settling after being up in the air, but now I hear a knocking/bump noise when turning at low speeds say like in a parking lot or pulling out of my garage. I dont notice anything at higher speed cornering though.

Has anybody here had these issues with the ST front sway bar (w/o original front bar so 19mm dia)? could it be still that the new setup is settling in? I've noticed that the sway bar almost touchs the exhaust in the middle, but I dont know how it would produce the noise b/c the middle of the sway shouldn't move up or down.

BTW the wheels are 15x7 +42mm offset with 195/50's.

I grabbed a hold of the swaybar and tried to see if it was loose, but its on there solid. Could it be something to do with the endlinks?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I've never heard of anything like that with a sway bar. I suppose it could be your end links. How are your axles looking? You'd get a clunking noise when turning if your CV joints are going bad...

I thought about the CV's, but this sounds like a different type of noise it seems kinda odd that the noise would happen only after the sway bar was installed. I will have a look at my Axles/CV's though just to be sure this weekend when I can get the car up on stands again.

Its really more of an intermittent/indivual knock or bump when I'm say turning into a parking lot or something...rather then a continuous knocking sound.

Check the paint on the bar where it gets close to the exhaust. It could be rubbing there as the exhaust goes up and down.

ahh yes problem solved.....it was just a loose endlink.

Back