front/rear lips?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Harms Way

I was thinking of having a professional i know paint my factory side skirts the color of my car (clover green). But if i do that then i also want a front and rear lip or do i want a whole new fender? My car is a 99 civic ex and it is lowered 1.5 inches (thats what the setting said on the Tokico setup i purchased anyway) I was wondering if anyone has gone through this and does it look good? drag/rub anywhere? Pics would be great, and knowledge/experience is good also. Are the "Mugen Civic Type R" front and rear lips on ebay worth it? $70.00 for both...plus the cost of having them painted. I am sure i could install/prep them with a little help. Any info/help is greatly appreciated.

I just had my oem side skirts done and ebay lips put on and painted.

wa_river02.jpg

wa_river03.jpg

wa_river10.jpg

wa_river06.jpg

I'm very happy with the results. It cost me $250 to get them painted through a local import shop.
One thing to keep in mind is the oem side skirts are textured, so you won't get a super smooth finish unless they're completely sanded down.
My lips cost ~$170 shipped and they're fairly good quality.

Also, it looked really goofy when I only had the sideskirts on and painted. It looked much too low in the center. The lips evened it out a bit.

If this helps, I just purchased a set of front and rear lips from www.phasenine.com.

They have a combo sale going on through their site for both with combined shipping.

You could also head to www.groupbuycenter.com and look for their sale which is about a couple dollars cheaper as well as the shipping charges (you have to email them to request a quote to get actual shipping charges, don't pay attention to their $35 for the first lip $15 for the second crap... Mine was $32 for both lips).

I ordered on the 3rd and haven't received it yet so I can't vouch for them, but I've read on countless forums from people that have ordered and praise them.

I paid about $122 w/ shipping for Type R style front and rear lips.

Thanks alot Prowler and saxqtzk. Your car looks awesome prowler. I really like it and i am not a big fan of 4-doors, until i saw your car. Thanks for that website saxqtzk. One more quick question. How exactly are they lips installed and is it difficult?? Do they have to be painted first? because if they dont then i was going to install them then take my car to the shop to be sprayed. Thanks in advance.

front lip was so incredibly easy to install. two screws lol

the rear end was a )(*@#$#@ to put on. couple of screws in the wheel well and a lot of supports in the back. i still need to use some double sided 3m tape to fix it permanately.

unless the paint shop is gonna fade the paint from the lips to your bumper, don't install the lips until after they're painted. i just dropped all that stuff off at the shop and picked it up when they were done. no reason for my whole car to be at the paint shop.

thanks for the comments btw =)

So basically one would use their own imagination to install the rear end? Does it come with some screws and mounting plates or what? I have some really good double-sided sticky tape from Duct Tape. and you're welcome on the comments, your car is bad ass.

the lip came with the needed brackets fortunately. just no instructions so you've got to be creative on how to install it. i can take pics if you're interested in getting the same lip. i know other ones will be different.

I am interested in getting the Mugen style front and the type R rear lip. I am sure i will be able to figure the back out. My dad is pretty good with this stuff and very patient/precise. Thanks for the help and the info Prowler.

Prowler - The front is only held on by 2 screws? How long has your front lip been installed?

Could you post some pictures of where the brackets go, and this way it'll help people in the future...

I'm assuming my kit will not come with instructions.

What paint do i use when painting the side skirts and lips? What did you have the import store use Prowler? I was looking at the Acrylic Urethane Single Stage on that side saxqtzk gave me. Anyway, I was just wondering what paint you guys used/going to use and if that paint i suggested would be best...

I always assumed when painting plastic you should use regular paint w/ flex additive. Somebody else have any other suggestions?

I think read that on this site, Click Here

not too sure on the paint since i didn't do it myself.
i know there was some additive to work on the plastic because of high static issues when working with it.
i'll get pictures tomorrow.

Originally posted by Prowler@Oct 10 2004, 11:06 AM
not too sure on the paint since i didn't do it myself.
i know there was some additive to work on the plastic because of high static issues when working with it.
i'll get pictures tomorrow.
[post=400779]Quoted post[/post]​

Very tasteful and nice Prowler.

me likey :)

car4jdmu.JPG

Just to add to this, it cost me barely anything for paint. My car is lowered 1.8 inches. and I rarely have trouble with my lip. Not even on speed bumps. I've only scraped it twice. Unfortunately, scraping once messes up the paint on the underside. Luckily, no one can see it.

This pic was taken much after the two scapes.

Back