frozen crank pully bolt

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yardrat

Has anyone ever had this problem? I'm trying to change the timing belt and water pump on my integra, and I can't get the bolt loose on the end of the crank that holds the large pully for the p/s, a/c, and alt. belts. I have a 650ft/lb 1/2 impact that won't break it loose. A friend suggested that I put a breaker bar on the bolt, and with the car on the ground, position the bar so it touches the ground. Then disconect the ignition, and kick the starter on a couple times using the starter and flywheel to break the bolt loose. In theory I guess this will work since the engine is turning clockwise and the bolt has right handed threads. I'm worried that this will do damage to things like the starter and/or flywheel teeth. Anyone have any suggestions?????

I would try the easy things first! Get yourseld a ratchet and breaker bar 4-6ft long depending on how strong you are or easy you want to get it off! If the motor is still in the car yours in ok shape! Just have a friend put it in gear and keep the brake on! You may want to give it a few yanks! Have you tryed using the impact gun for like 2 min or so at a time! try reversing it than going forward off and on and it should come!

Accordturbo94 thanks for the quick reply. The things I mentioned before are last ditch efforts! I had a 2ft long breaker bar with a 4ft long piece of pipe trying to get it loose the first time. The only thing different than what you mentioned is my car has an automatic tranny. I tried it in park and in drive with the foot break trick and it still wouldn't come loose. I soaked the crap out of it with PB Blaster for a week, and tried the impact again. I tried going forward and reverse like you mentioned. I turned the air regulator to 140 psi to see if I could give the impact gun some extra muscle, and still no luck. Do you have any other tricks you can think of? I'm about ready to go get a silly 3/4 or 1 inch impact gun with like 2000 ft/lbs of torque to either get the bolt loose or break it off. I don't want to spend $500 then only use the tool a couple of times. Thanks.

If you can heat it up without burning the shit out of something try taking a torch to the nut and heat it until it is cherry red then quench it with some water then try your impact. Ive also heard of heating it up then dripping wax on it to penetrate the threads.

PS> try alternating between forward and reverse on your impact also.

Ya .. Try a little heat (maybe not red-hot ) and fast heatup and quick cooldown works best. If that 650 lb ft gun won't get it loose after that, I think you have a large problem.
Pappy

Originally posted by yardrat@Dec 2 2003, 10:26 AM
Accordturbo94 thanks for the quick reply. The things I mentioned before are last ditch efforts! I had a 2ft long breaker bar with a 4ft long piece of pipe trying to get it loose the first time. The only thing different than what you mentioned is my car has an automatic tranny. I tried it in park and in drive with the foot break trick and it still wouldn't come loose. I soaked the crap out of it with PB Blaster for a week, and tried the impact again. I tried going forward and reverse like you mentioned. I turned the air regulator to 140 psi to see if I could give the impact gun some extra muscle, and still no luck. Do you have any other tricks you can think of? I'm about ready to go get a silly 3/4 or 1 inch impact gun with like 2000 ft/lbs of torque to either get the bolt loose or break it off. I don't want to spend $500 then only use the tool a couple of times. Thanks.

C if you can rent that impact gun!! Look around if you have to at worst case scenario order it from harbor tool and freight! They have good prices! I happend to be working on my underdrive pulley at the bodyshop when my bolt stuck! However across the street was a trucking repair company! Thats all they use is a 3/4 gun.. and i borrowed it from there! As people said with the torch method you can always try that! I would be careful not to get it to hot... for if you do you might(if even possible) snap the head off the bolt! than you may be really screwed! Good luck

Yeah, rent the gun. I tried a Ingersoll Rand titanium half inch gun on one motor, and rattled the shyt out of it. So, I went back to work, and grabbed a 3/4 drive, which just about blew out the socket. It came, but it still took about half of an hour. Motor wasn't in the car, so I had to rattle it. Rent it, or swing by your local truck shop. They have big tools, and good air supplies. See if you can talk someone into breaking it loose. Moderately tighten it, and drive straight home.

If your air supply sucks, remember that you get your best breaking power right as the compressor gets fully pumped up. Running it out of air won't help.

Good luck

I have a 500 lb/ft with a compressor at 140psi and held it on there for like 30 seconds and it busted it loose. I tried this on my other engine(not on a car, with no tranny) and that one is stuck. You can take it to honda and have them bust it loose and tighten it not as tight so u can get it off at home.

I had to use a 3/4 impact gun twice for that damn bolt.....i dont get it you torque it to like 150 and it winds up being 800ft/lbs.

I tried the breaker bar and its really to hard to use for a DIY because u cant get the car high enough unless u have a lift. the bar hits the bumper. I actually broke a socket wrench trying to break it loose. Right where the handle meets the ratcheting mechanism. Thank god for craftsman tools breaking policy.

Originally posted by cycloneb18c3@Dec 3 2003, 08:42 PM
I tried the breaker bar and its really to hard to use for a DIY because u cant get the car high enough unless u have a lift. the bar hits the bumper. I actually broke a socket wrench trying to break it loose. Right where the handle meets the ratcheting mechanism. Thank god for craftsman tools breaking policy.

you need to get a really long extension on the end of the breaker bar. prop up the middle of the extension with wood, get a really long pipe on the end of the breaker bar, and have at it...

Thanks for all of the help and ideas!!! I got it loose at last!!!!! I was getting the yearly PA state inspection on the car and asked the owner of the garage if he had any silly huge impact guns. He said I can let you borrow the one we use on the wrecker we tow semi trucks with. And he brought out this huge 1 inch imact gun with the extra handle on the side and everything. He said it was rated at 2000 ft/lbs, and it will either take off or break off your bolt. After stacking two different adapters to mount a 1/2 inch socket on the gun, it loosened the bolt without breaking it. I think I am going to get a new bolt incase the old one may have been weakened or stressed. I'm also going to anti-sieze the crap out of the threads on the new bolt, so if I ever need to loosen it in the future. Thanks again to all that replied!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Originally posted by yardrat@Dec 3 2003, 09:55 PM
Thanks for all of the help and ideas!!! I got it loose at last!!!!! I was getting the yearly PA state inspection on the car and asked the owner of the garage if he had any silly huge impact guns. He said I can let you borrow the one we use on the wrecker we tow semi trucks with. And he brought out this huge 1 inch imact gun with the extra handle on the side and everything. He said it was rated at 2000 ft/lbs, and it will either take off or break off your bolt. After stacking two different adapters to mount a 1/2 inch socket on the gun, it loosened the bolt without breaking it. I think I am going to get a new bolt incase the old one may have been weakened or stressed. I'm also going to anti-sieze the crap out of the threads on the new bolt, so if I ever need to loosen it in the future. Thanks again to all that replied!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Don't use anti-seize! It says specifically so in the factory manual...

Yeah you got to think how old your car is! Thats how many years that bolts been in there! If you need to take it off in a year or two or less its going to be much easier to get off! Good Job! I told you semi truck shops and some big mo fo tools!

Happens all of the time, I just bought a 3/4 inch for this. (Which was a shop tool at the dealership, just for this). My Ingersoll Titanium wouldn't get the last two I did. Most tools trucks have a pulley tool for Honda's, it is an imitation of the OEM factory tool. Moroso makes one with a breaker bar built in.

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisp...p?CatCode=27115

I have never seen a bolt that wouldn't come loose with one of these holding the pulley and a breaker bar on the 19mm.

Back