Frusterating problems!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

honda801

Ok, I just had my 5 year project tuned and driving< I would say finished but they are never finsished. Any ways two weeks of driving mkaybe 50 miles my motor starts to cut out @ roughly5500 rpms, just about starting to spool and the motor starts sputtering. My first thought was ignition was fried. So i replaced the cap, rotor, wires and plugs with OEM, one by one and with every one it has progressed with me now stuck not able to spool and cutting out at low rpm's i have parked it with scratching my head except in the morn im throwing in a new fuel filter. I know this is a long thread but om trying to be specific with leaving out lots of engine/setup info but looking for more solutions. any questions about setup i will gladly answer, but any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

sputtering on boost usually means fuel problems. Did they only tune WOT? part throttle may need to be re-mapped.

It was dyno tuned all the way through by who I consider one of the best in the area, with s300. We stopped at 10.4 psi and 60% of of the 90 psi injectors. But I think your right about it being fuel, im trying new filter today first and well see if that works.

don't waste your money. it's not a fuel filter. its the map.

I know I thought about it and nothings going to get by the pump screen, but i also noticed oil is a little low im thinking now valve spring seals and fouling out he plugs. Im not by any means saying your wrong but whats your thought process on it being the map it was just tuned two weeks ago?

Is the timing belt skippping a tooth a possibility? It was a four year procees beacause well you all know much it costs to build power, im trying to think of stock stuff that isnt holding to the power im throwing at it.

Last edited:
If you lost a tooth, the entire rpm band would feel like crap

I forgot to add when i woke up this morning I backed out of the driveway and it died and wouldnt start, so i put new plugs in and it started but still cutting out feels like mifire, plugs were completely fouled (black)

do they smell like gas? if they smell like oil, you might have broke something like a ring and oil is seeping into the combustion chamber. :/

no :confused:, this is getting personal though.smells more like gas than oil.

Last edited:
o k so i have installed a new set of wires coil 2 caps three rotors 4 sets of plugs and the ignitor, and i am getting spark out of the coil but not to the wires or cap, so im thinking maybe the ignitor (ignition control module) is wired wrong. yes i did it in the dark and just double checking, does anyone have a b16 they could looke to see how its wired there is nothing on the web and honda was no help.

and yes i know i could have bought a new msd or m n w>

The wires are pretty much preformed to fit in the correct spot on the ignitor..

i know i tried putting them on wrong and its nearly impossible, just double checking everything. anyone ever heard of such a thing what am I missing. test light shows spark out the coil but putting the plugs in the wires and wires on the cap and holding it on the head bolt i get no spark could this be a bad ignitor that i have purchased? or would i not have spark at the coil if it was the ignitor?

took everything apart and put it back together, timing still appears to be on and yet still no spark after coil any ideas, anyone?

Back