Frustrated 99 Accord W/h22.....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lenz973

HEY WHAT'S GOING ON PPL. ABOUT A YEAR AGO I DROPPED A H22A4 INTO MY 99 ACCORD. I THOUGHT THAT MY CAR WOULD MOVE A LOT QUICKER AND GOING FROM A SINGLE TO A DOHC I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING A HUGE DIFFERENCE. SINCE THE SWAP HAS BEEN DROPPED I'VE BEEN DISAPPOINTED. THE MOTOR HAS NEVER SAT RIGHT IN THE CAR, WIRES RIPPED, MOTOR JUMPED. I COULDN'T FIND MOUNTS TO BUY ONLINE OR ANY MECHANIC THAT COULD HELP OUT. HEAD GASKET WENT, I HAD TO REDO IT, DID HEADERS, SKUNK2 INTAKE MANIFOLD, THEN WENT TO GET THE CAR TUNED AND THERE'S A KNOCKING SOUND:confused: . I'M BEING TOLD THAT IT'S THE RODS. MY VTECH ISN'T KICKING IN ANYMORE AND THEY ALSO TOLD ME MY WHOLE WIRING IS WRONG ANOTHER $400 JUST TO GET IT DONE RIGHT. SO NOW SHOULD I BUY ANOTHER H22 TO DROP IN, OR PULL THIS 1 OUT SEND THE BLOCK OUT TO GOLDEN EAGLE? I WAS ON THE VERGE OF SENDING THE CAR OUT OF STATE SO A SHOP IN FLA COULD DO IT FOR ME. CONFUSED/FRUSTRATED AND REGRETTING THE SWAP. :(

I'M OPEN TO ANY SUGGESTIONS OR IF ANYONE KNOWS A GOOD MECHANIC OUT HERE.

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,073
  • car1.jpg
    car1.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 1,210
  • car2.jpg
    car2.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 1,187
  • car3.jpg
    car3.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,188
The problem is the H22 doesnt have Vtech. Thats why you're not feeling the insane power :p

Seriously now, from what I know the motor is a direct bolt in. There's no need for other mounts, it uses the stock ones :) If its not running right now, building the engine is pointless and a big waste of money. I would get it running right with what you have now. Get the wiring and all fixed up and then when its a good running setup, upgrade if you wish.

Well I Heard It Goes Into The 94-97 Accord With The Same Exact Mount, But Once It Gets To My Year The 99 I Have To Change The Timing Belt Side Mount. That Motor Jumps And Rocks In There Hard. Yeah But To Do The Wiring, And I Just Did The Head, And Now I Have Knocking It's Frustrating If It Is A Rod.

That must take a lot of time to type with all the first letters in caps :lol:

I'm not too sure on that side mount but if the other mounts are good and tight it shouldnt be an issue. Hopefully someone can comment with the right mount for that spot.

What ECU are you running in the car?

i had a chipped p28 computer with hondata but i put the stock accord computer back. you don't want to know how much i've spent on something that should of been a direct swap. i don't wanna waste money on this anymore unless the car is gonna have a drastic amount of hp.

yeah i'm driving with the accord ecu... with the p28 the shop didn't tune it all the way... so it drove, but i was never really impressed.

Without a good tune you shouldnt have been out driving it hard. Which may explain the knocking you have now.

Running the Accord ECU in there is NOT a good thing. I recommend you either start reading a LOT or take it to someone who actually knows what they're doing. Right now you're shooting in the dark without a clue. I would prolly do a compression check on that engine first and if its all good drop it somewhere that can make that swap run correctly.

you're in PA? are there any shops up there that might be good with that swap? i haven't found a place out here yet that really knows.. .just 1 guy and he was trying 2 charge me so much for simple things enough money to boost the motor.

I'm not too sure. I know my one friend went to Evans Tuning and had nothing but good things to say. I know Dawe's Porsche performance is the shit for my area and they will do Honda's and other cars. They are INSANELY expensive though.

Uh, running the accord ecu will make it very lean. And it wont be much more powerful than the f22. If you've been running it on the accord ecu for awhile and reving it higher, you've probably nearly destroyed that motor.

for the most part i've driven it with the p28, but I just switched it back to the stock computer because the car has been acting up so much. part of me just wants to go buy a whole new motor, then i'm not sure if i should just go back to the stock accord motor. I rather build the h22 for turbo then, but i'm gonna spend so much.

Hello fellow Accord swapper!

I've got a 99 Accord Coupe with a 2001 JDM H23A DOHC VTEC motor. Is your motor USDM? Getting the performance out of the engine is all about the ECU. If the P28 was not a proper dyno tune, it probably didn't maximize the power. Why don't you try using a proper Prelude ECU?

So I'm wondering... did you convert your IACV to a 2 wire? I'm wondering how you are swapping between your OBD2b OEM ECU and the OBDI P28 ECU? The 2 ECUs require different IACVs (2 wire vs. 3 wire). If you've converted to 2 wire, get your hands on a proper Prelude ECU so at least it's optimized. You'll have to deal with the Prelude Immobilizer...

I ran my OEM ECU for a while just to get by, but I never revved beyond 3,000 rpm and never put much load on it. I basically granny drove it. I've got an AEM unit I'm programming and tuning now.

If you get a turbo you will need a stand alone ECU / EMS...

Tell me more about the side motor mount. I think my mechanic used my OEM one and I do feel a lot of vibrations above 100kph / 60 mph. What side motor mount did you use?

Well the person that did the swap for me rewired my harness and added part of the preludes. The car was still wired obd2. I had my stock computer on it, and then I switched computers to the P28 by buying a jumper harness that allows you to plug an obd1 computer. I couldn't use the stock prelude computer it was obd2 b something like that or vice versa. they were different obd2. As far as the vibration I felt it as soon as I pulled on my car... Everyone I"ve spoken to has told me that the timing belt side mount has to be modified. There are different ways to change it. If you want let me know I can post the link to where someone explains it and shows the difference.

Hey man, thanks. I'd appreciate it if you post up that link as I'd like to know what is involved and get my mechanic to do it or at least verify if it was done.

I'm asuming that the person who did your swap probably converted your IACV to a 2 wire and did the wiring so that either OBDI or OBD2 can operate it. You are right, the Prelude uses an OBD2a connector and the Accord uses an OBD2b.

So you have a conversion harness for OBD2b to OBDI. All you need is a conversion harness for OBD2a to OBDI and you can use the Prelude ECU. I'd suggest doing that and seeing how it runs with the proper ECU. I think you'll be much happier.

Keep the P28 for the future in case you do some heavier mods like Turbo. But if you go with a Turbo, I'd suggest a proper stand alone EMS / ECU so you have full control and get a good tuner to dial it in for you.

I have a 99 Honda Accord 4dr like yours. H22A4 with a P28 with a "chrome" data running piggy back. 440 injectors and a T3/T4 turbo, with a test pipe. It runs beautiful. It was done by HONDA FIEND in Covina, CA, and Dyno'd at Whitfield Racing in Upland, CA (909)373-(RACE)/7223 WhitfieldRacing.com

Check the date on the original post man. This thread is a year and a half old.

Back