Fucking hate 360's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

what does cooking an xbox mobo in an oven do?
fix the broken connections?

what does cooking an xbox mobo in an oven do?
fix the broken connections?

It's a ghetto "reflow". Not the right way to do it, but it works. The theory is it heats the solder enough to reconnect anything that cracked. I've had them last for almost a year afterwards.

Last edited:
oh yeah. you're right my bad. i kind-of phase that one out since it sucked so bad. GT5 must have been built off of it, since it sucked twice as bad.

Aren't you guys too old to be playing video games still?
Nope.
You need some sort of hobby when the old lady stops putting out... give it time.
I don't understand this. :shrug2:
what actually makes them rrod??
ive had mine forever now and it hasnt messed up *knock on wood*
See below.
well the big ones have heat and solder flow issues. the boards warp and the solder joints become brittle and break.

Yup. The graphics core wasn't cooled properly in the initial design- so M$ set out to make a new chip that was more efficient and cooler. The process shrank on the original chip though, solving part of the problem- that was the second generation of the old 360 (Falcon I think). The slim was the new hardware.

What basically happened was the heat output from the graphics core was high enough that it desoldered some of the balls/pins from the motherboard- that's why if you bake it in your oven and you're lucky enough that everything flows back into the right place, you get a functioning 360 once again.

This will be the third one I cooked in my oven.

Maybe you should just buy a PS3... I used my original 360 for two years until the graphics card died, so I bought another one. Two years later I'm still on it.

Maybe you should just buy a PS3... I used my original 360 for two years until the graphics card died, so I bought another one. Two years later I'm still on it.

I've got one, and a Wii, the Wii is the only one that wasn't built like a piece of shit and actually can handle being ...turned on. My PS3 has been cooked more times than my Xbox, I can take it apart blindfolded.

I've got one, and a Wii, the Wii is the only one that wasn't built like a piece of shit and actually can handle being ...turned on. My PS3 has been cooked more times than my Xbox, I can take it apart blindfolded.

Maybe it's time to look into why all these systems are dying. Too much humidity? House too cold or too hot? Something other than the systems themselves are causing them to die in your house, apparently.

nah i'm with him after a shit ton of big 360s and TWO ps3s my wii is effing solid! had it since december 2006.

the only think i noticed about my wii is the power source tends to shut down after being left plugged in for extended periods of time
i rarely play the console, but when i do want to play i just have to unplug it for a little bit and plug it back in
my ps3 is one of the originals, purchased the christmas it came out for $600+ bucks
i had used it quite a bit until the PSN network went down and I switched to the 4gb xbox

Maybe it's time to look into why all these systems are dying. Too much humidity? House too cold or too hot? Something other than the systems themselves are causing them to die in your house, apparently.

No, they are pieces of shit that aren't made with the fact that they heat up in mind. It is no anomaly or anything, once a machine goes it's gone, you can keep putting a bandaid on it, but the underlying problem is still there. There also isn't any "all these systems" My original Xbox, and my PS3, it's only two machines that I have cooked a few times, this new Xbox it's the first time it's gone out.

Last edited:
I generally only play Forza 4.. sometimes MW3... ill never be too old for video games

Anyone else think it's odd that both the PS3, and 360 suffer from the same problem of overheating wrecking shop on their solder?

that is pretty common with any device that overheats.

Back