1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel Injector

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by TewSmooth18, Sep 27, 2004.

1. TewSmooth18

TewSmooth18 Junior Member

Im having a problem with my Fuel Injector System that is throwing a code 16 error. Is there a way that I can test my fuel Injectors to see if those are actually what are bad before I go spend a shit load of money on them?

2. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

unplug the injectors from the harness, use an OHM meter to measure the resistance between the 2 terminals on the injector itself. it should be ~12 OHMS

3. TewSmooth18

ok i did that but it didnt show any voltage at all..im using a Digital Multimeter..if i put it on the plugs for the wiring hardness for the injectors it reads at 9.88 DCV but it's not giving me any kind of reading when i put it on the injectors itself

4. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

thats because you are trying to measure the voltage of something that doesnt have any. you need to put in on resistance mode.

5. TewSmooth18

ok how do i put it on resistance mode? i only have a multimeter that has

DCV
    2000m
    200m
    2000 (with headphones looking thing under it)
    200 (again)

ACV

DCA
    200 (weird looking u symbol)
    2000 (weird looking u symbol)
    20m
    200m
    10A
    hFE

6. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

you have a voltmeter, you need a ohm meter. btw i have this same problem but havent gotten around to checking it.

7. TewSmooth18

ok i figured that out

i checked both of my fuel injectors

the top one is reading at either 016 or 01.6
    and the bottom one is reading at 089 or 08.9
    (has a dot but not sure if im suposed to go by the dot)

can anyone tell me if these are good or if they are bad and need to be replaced?

another way i checked was unplugged each one at a time while the car was running to see if it would bog down at all

when i did the top one it didnt do anything or change the loud of the car
    when i did the bottom one it bogged down just a tad and then i plugged it right back in

8. whiteLS

whiteLS Senior Member

the headphone symbol is ohms aka resistance. but if you dont know anything about electricity dont bother and throw away your car.

9. TewSmooth18

alright man i wasent asking for any smartass replys...Im being serious. Just because im not sure how to read a multimeter doesnt mean I dont know how to check something when someone tells me how to do it..and like i said..i figured out which one it is on the meter..and i gave the readings..now im asking if they are good or bad

10. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

not everybody knows everything about cars. if everyone was to do that, more then half or everybody who owns a car would throw it away.

i also want to know what to do next since i am having the same problem...

11. TewSmooth18

I also want to know if the injectors have to be in the car to test the resistance or if you can have them completly off the throttle body to check them

12. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

doesn't matter, do it with them in the car so its easier. top and bottom injectors? what kind of car is this for? could be you have peak hold injectors instead of saturated? 92+ civics use saturated injectors ~12 OHM, before that was peak hold ~1-2 OMH, for civics anyway.

13. TewSmooth18

this is an 88 honda civic dx 4 door sedan with a 1.5

14. Slammed90Lude

Slammed90Lude Senior Member

ok so you're looking at low reistance peak and hold injectors- like B16 said put it on the funny looking headphones symbol (ohms=resistance) and look for between ~1 and 2 volts

15. TewSmooth18

ok but the funny headphone symbol says 2000 with the headphone..does that make a difference that it's so high? (the 2000)

i also checked them by starting the car and while the car was running i unplugged each plug from the injectors at a time. (figured by doing this the car would bog down or sound alittle different) when i unplugged the top injector the car still ran exactly the same. didnt bog down or anything at all. so i plugged it back in. when i unplugged the bottom plug from the bottom injector the car seemed to bog down and make a different running noise so i plugged it right back in.... so by doing this and by unplugging the top injector and it not bogging down or making any different kind of running noise is there a good chance that the top injector is bad? according to books the top injector is the main injector and the bottom injector is like a secondary or something like that

16. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

ok, put it on the lowest multiple there is.. i think you said there is a 200 setting? put it on that, there should be a 10's that would be best. this is why i'm having you test the resistance of the injectors, to see if they're the problem or not, you could also have a broken injector wire, but checking the injectors is easier. check them again, with the lowest OHM setting (headphone looking symbol) and tell us what the readings are. if the injector is between 1-2 OHMS you should be good.

17. TewSmooth18

alright now im really confused...After going to an auto parts store and reading one of there haynes manuals about the fuel injectors the resistance values in the book read as follows

Main Injector - 0.6 - 1.6 ohms
    Aux Injector - 6 - 10 ohms

After checking the resistance a few more times on my injectors i get the following values

Main Injector - 1.5 ohms
    Aux Injector - 8.6 ohms

So according to the resistance on my injectors it is reading that my injectors are good. Just because these readings are good is there a chance that the injectors are still bad? If not what else should I test in the car? I know the injector wires are not cut. I turned the key on and tested for voltage in the injector plug wires and both the main and aux plugs both give the same voltage. I cant remember what the voltage is but they were both giving the same. Which shows me that the wires arnt cut becuase if they were then it wouldnt show any voltage from that certain plug. So what else can I check that would be throwing a Code 16 (Fuel Injector System Error)

18. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

ok, well theres just too much to type and its way easier reading it then for someone to try to explain it. i took these pictures from my helms manual for a 91 CRX. they should be the same but im not positive if they actually are.

follow these procedures to the T. if it still doesnt solve your problem then drive your car off a cliff, lol. JK.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted