Fuel pressure and evap problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have a 96 Civic DX (D16Y7) and I'm planning on swapping it for a 98 B18C1. I've done a lot of research to make sure everything goes well. A couple of things are worrying me:

1. The B18C1 has an EVAP control canister vent shut valve, my car currently doesn't.

2. I don't have a fuel tank pressure sensor. Will this cause a problem with the p72 ECU. On that ECU pin D15 is for the fuel tank pressure sensor.

3.I don't have an EVAP emission 3 way valve, I only have a 2 way valve. The B18C1 has both.

I'm guessing since a lot of people have done this swap before, that it isn't a problem, but I'd just like to make sure.

Thanks for your help.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem? I heard it gives a code 91. Is there anyway to avoid the code from being drawn from the ECU? Basically is there a way to make the ECU think that everything is fine?

There is a great way to aviod all the problems your referring too. All the sensors that your current motor has, the GSR motor has plus some more. The most simplest way to solve this problem is to have your current ECU programmed/chipped with GSR fuel maps and secondary intake operation programs into your ECU as well. This will delete the necessary addition of all those evap issues and fuel pressure unit.

EDIT- Actually your best bet would be to get a P2P ECU from the 96-2000 EX which is a VTEC ECU and illiminates the need for a knock sensor also and all those other extra components the GSR has.

This is the best method i could think of, if anyone else has a better one, i'd like to hear it. :thumbsup:

chipping obd2 ecu's is near impossible... for a decent price anyway. and you will never get it to run iab's correctly... for a decent price anyway yet again.

your motor has evaps dude. every car from 92+ does, as it is emissions sandards from obd1+. it is most likely in a different place, but it still is around.

here's mine: (yellow/red wire plug)

DSC00577.JPG

DSC00575.JPG

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 7 2003, 11:31 AM
your motor has evaps dude. every car from 92+ does, as it is emissions sandards from obd1+. it is most likely in a different place, but it still is around.

I know I have an evap canister, I was just worried because I don't have a vent shut valve and a 3 way valve.

The thing that worries me the most at this point is the fuel tank pressure sensor. I know it won't affect the performance of the engine, but there will always be a code 91 nonetheless. I was thinking that I might be able to set a jumper wire with another pin on the ECU but no other pin gives out 2.5v and if it does it doesn't do it at the right time.

If anyone has any experience with this or know someone who had a problem like this, don't be shy to let me know. I'd really appreciate to hear your feedback.

Back