Fuel Pump for Turbo Engines

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

slr turbo 4

Hey everyone. I have a quick question. I building a turbo engine right now for my EG civic coupe. It is going to be running pretty high boost, and i am buying parts for the fuel system right now. I am going to be running large injectors, and am trying to figure out what type of fuel pump to by. I was going to go with an MSD inline pump, but i am not sure it will be enough. It it better to buy an in tank pump, an inline pump, or both? If you could let me know, that would be great. I plan on running between 18-20 psi of boost.

walbro 255 lph HP intank pump. that will support about 500-550 whp.
if you're going to hit those numbers, look into running a -6an line from your filter to your rail as well.
after that, cell, dry sump, and SS lines all around.

Thanks for the reply, so the only time that you need an inline pump is if you are going to be running a fuel cell? I planned on running between 500-550 whp without nitrous. I am going to add a 75 shot to it and a n-tercooler kit. Is the walbro kit going to be enough to handle that, or should i go bigger?

depends...

using an inline pump with the stock intank pump acts as a booster, but its still ultimately limited by the stock pump. it can only pull so many gallons per hour.

but, on the other hand, they make external inline pumps that flow like mad for race setups... but you don't need that in a street car.

and if you're building a street car... skip the nitrous. you'll bake 5th gear with 550 whp dude. you won't need it. spend th emoney on trying to get the car to hook up. it will ultimately make you faster.

no way....
hell, a lot of all motor guys upgrade theiir pumps after 225 whp

about the stock pump handling 400 whp, what it is, is that the 99 civic Si pump (B16a) can flow enough fuel at 35 PSI for 400 crank hp (Honda Tuning June/July 2002.) I am not a Honda Tuning fanatic, it just so happens that i was reading that issue last night to hopefully answer i asked you guys. So what i need to do is upgrade the intank pump, and if i need it, run a pump booster, or an additional inline pump for extra psi. Thanks everyone.

i don't buy that at all...

but anyway... just go with the walbro. its like $100 bucks. get it on the dyno, and with proper injectors you will most likely not have a starving problem

Back