fun with Pro/E

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
lol, i was bored so i made a replica of the L-CON traction bars, the tabs were the hardest part. hard to get the angle on them. i didnt use any specific measurements but im sure this is way bigger then real life, i just used what looked righ. i think it turned out pretty good. anyone else work with pro engineer before?

gallery_1242_98_11119.jpg

Fun stuff! The tabs look "off" to be, maybe it is the perspective. FWIW the only way to make a drawing even remotely close to what it should be like is to use length and angle measurements. I played with that a little bit for a class I had a while ago, mosty did Auto CAD Mechanical though. I really want to get my hands on a copy of Catilla.....yeah, like I could even make use of .000001% of that piece of software!

i believe with pro engineer you can do things like FEA and all kinds of other shit. i like the program but right now all i really know how to do is make parts and sketches, lol.

nfn, the tabs are fine. they are set on an angle (15*) and its probably the perspective. bothe sides are perfectly symmetrical and the ones right next to each other are perfectly parallel. and yea i didnt have any measurements to go off of so i just made it by what looked right. the tabs were rediculous to make. i had to draft them out on an angle (drafting can be tricky since you have to pick the surface, hinge plane and pull direction) then make both the inside tabs a tad bit longer so that the holes lined up and were both the same length away from the end of the tab.

generally i like the program :)

Rhino is good, and I like the command line based feature of it, but I much prefer 3d Studio Max. If you use Power Solids for 3ds Max, you can do the same kind of stuff (boolians, lathes, lofting, multi-curve surfaces) but it also includs a FAR superior rendering engine and animation engine. I've never used pro engineer, but I think I would much prefer the traditional 3d layout of Maya, Cinema 4d, or 3ds Max.

3ds Max + Power Solids > Rhino > all other cad

Originally posted by Calesta+Mar 13 2005, 03:21 PM-->
Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Mar 11 2005, 03:47 PM
anyone else work with pro engineer before?
[post=472375]Quoted post[/post]​

:yes:

nfn15037
@Mar 11 2005, 05:33 PM
I really want to get my hands on a copy of Catilla.....
[post=472412]Quoted post[/post]​

You mean CATIA right?
[post=472975]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes I know you would know more than I would. I've only heard it talked about and seen a few little blurbs about it on PBS in regards to the Beoing 777 project. Seems like an incredibley powerful piece of software according to my uncle who is a packaging engineer, and from what I hear is around $100k a seat. :eek:

I never looked up the price on it... I just know that CATIA is one of the more popular packages in the Aero industry.

Solidworks will also do an FEA with a cosmos package installed or with a copy of ansys

Originally posted by ktanaka@Mar 13 2005, 03:44 AM
Rhino is good, and I like the command line based feature of it, but I much prefer 3d Studio Max. If you use Power Solids for 3ds Max, you can do the same kind of stuff (boolians, lathes, lofting, multi-curve surfaces) but it also includs a FAR superior rendering engine and animation engine. I've never used pro engineer, but I think I would much prefer the traditional 3d layout of Maya, Cinema 4d, or 3ds Max.

3ds Max + Power Solids > Rhino > all other cad
[post=472864]Quoted post[/post]​

Those don't compare at all to true CAD. It's not just about drawings, you need analysis, 2D technical sketches w/proper format, and tons of other tech features.

And CITIA rules, Michigan Tech is starting to switch to it in the coming years. i only got to see a little of it.

I know Rhino isn't a CAD software, but as far as modelling software goes it is a little more CAD-like in interface than, say, Bryce, which blows donkey nut.

Yeah, funny thing is my little brother all of a sudden thinks he's a 1337 graphics artist cause he can import models and add textures in Bryce. Nevermind his complete lack of knowledge in graphics arts staples such as photoshop.

Throw him Cinema 4d and tell him to model his own stuff. Thats what I started on and its a GREAT program for beginning modelers.

I tried to get him into Rhino (which I bought), but he prefers the maniacal and childish interface of Bryce. His brain works backward, so I guess that makes sense.

Back