1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fun with Pro/E

Discussion in 'Computers, Games, Electronics etc' started by GSRCRXsi, Mar 11, 2005.

1. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

lol, i was bored so i made a replica of the L-CON traction bars, the tabs were the hardest part. hard to get the angle on them. i didnt use any specific measurements but im sure this is way bigger then real life, i just used what looked righ. i think it turned out pretty good. anyone else work with pro engineer before?

[​IMG]

2. nfn15037

nfn15037 Senior Member

Fun stuff! The tabs look "off" to be, maybe it is the perspective. FWIW the only way to make a drawing even remotely close to what it should be like is to use length and angle measurements. I played with that a little bit for a class I had a while ago, mosty did Auto CAD Mechanical though. I really want to get my hands on a copy of Catilla.....yeah, like I could even make use of .000001% of that piece of software!

3. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

I use Rhinoceros 3D, which is remarkably easy to use and is very powerful.

4. GSRCRXsi

i believe with pro engineer you can do things like FEA and all kinds of other shit. i like the program but right now all i really know how to do is make parts and sketches, lol.

nfn, the tabs are fine. they are set on an angle (15*) and its probably the perspective. bothe sides are perfectly symmetrical and the ones right next to each other are perfectly parallel. and yea i didnt have any measurements to go off of so i just made it by what looked right. the tabs were rediculous to make. i had to draft them out on an angle (drafting can be tricky since you have to pick the surface, hinge plane and pull direction) then make both the inside tabs a tad bit longer so that the holes lined up and were both the same length away from the end of the tab.

generally i like the program :)

5. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Senior Member

Rhino is good, and I like the command line based feature of it, but I much prefer 3d Studio Max. If you use Power Solids for 3ds Max, you can do the same kind of stuff (boolians, lathes, lofting, multi-curve surfaces) but it also includs a FAR superior rendering engine and animation engine. I've never used pro engineer, but I think I would much prefer the traditional 3d layout of Maya, Cinema 4d, or 3ds Max.

3ds Max + Power Solids > Rhino > all other cad

6. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

You mean CATIA right?

7. GSRCRXsi

lol, i know you have mike.

8. nfn15037

nfn15037 Senior Member

Yes I know you would know more than I would. I've only heard it talked about and seen a few little blurbs about it on PBS in regards to the Beoing 777 project. Seems like an incredibley powerful piece of software according to my uncle who is a packaging engineer, and from what I hear is around $100k a seat. :eek:

9. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

I never looked up the price on it... I just know that CATIA is one of the more popular packages in the Aero industry.

10. CRX-YEM

CRX-YEM Super Moderator Moderator VIP

Solidworks will also do an FEA with a cosmos package installed or with a copy of ansys

11. TommyTheCat

TommyTheCat Gonzo Scientist

Those don't compare at all to true CAD. It's not just about drawings, you need analysis, 2D technical sketches w/proper format, and tons of other tech features.

And CITIA rules, Michigan Tech is starting to switch to it in the coming years. i only got to see a little of it.

12. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

I know Rhino isn't a CAD software, but as far as modelling software goes it is a little more CAD-like in interface than, say, Bryce, which blows donkey nut.

13. Citizen_Insane

lol, I remeber bryce, that was such a pathetic little program :lol:

14. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

Yeah, funny thing is my little brother all of a sudden thinks he's a 1337 graphics artist cause he can import models and add textures in Bryce. Nevermind his complete lack of knowledge in graphics arts staples such as photoshop.

15. Citizen_Insane

Throw him Cinema 4d and tell him to model his own stuff. Thats what I started on and its a GREAT program for beginning modelers.

16. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

I tried to get him into Rhino (which I bought), but he prefers the maniacal and childish interface of Bryce. His brain works backward, so I guess that makes sense.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted