1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fun with the human eye

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by E_SolSi, Jan 12, 2012.

1. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

2. Magana559

Magana559 The Warden

awesome!

3. DarkHand

DarkHand Senior Member VIP

I've seen those bright streaks against the sky before but had no idea they were actually light passing through white blood cells in my eyes! Quite cool!

I wonder if you can see more of them when you're sick and have more white blood cells in your bloodstream.

4. Dual-500

Dual-500 Well-Known Member VIP

Interesting. Remembering back to Psych 101 in college there was an experiment performed to show that vision is learned. Hearing BTW is also learned.

The vision experiment I remember involved a test subject being fitted with goggles that inverted the picture, so what they saw was a world upside down. Wearing them for about a week, the brain automatically re-mapped the matrix between eyes and visual processing, so they could see everything as normal with the goggles on.

Then, when the goggles were removed, they saw an upside down world. It took another week of so for things to re-map back to normal.

Also, while we all agree for the most part on colors. Color is an individual thing. What we all agree upon as red for instance, isn't seen the same by everyone. It's a unique experience for each of us. Probably relates back to vision being a "Learned" thing.

Part of the blindspot things he talked about relate to the human mind operating on a principle called "Closure". The brain always wants to understand what it "sees" and sometimes fills in the gaps as needed to understand or make sense of the incomplete visual picture.

That is how magicians use distraction and slight of hand so successfully. as human perception has holes in it and can be easily tricked if one knows what to do.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted