Funny Idle

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
ok my idles been getting a little weird lately. when i first turn on the car it revs up to about 2k-2.5k and it bounces up and down between that and about 1.5k. if its cold it will do this until the car warms up. now what it used to do was once the car was warm, it would stop bouncing altogether and jus chill at about 800rpms. i never bothered with it cause once the car was warm it was fine. but recently it has changed. it still does the bouncing thing when i start it up but when it gets warm it bounces from 1k to 1.25k, not a fast bounce but a fairly slow to moderate bounching. now what can i do to fix this, i just want the damn thing to idle normal. i know it will be high when its cold but i think 2.5-3k rpms is a lil high. someone please help.

i had this same problem..chekc your vacum lines make sure u dont have a vacum leak and try reseting your throttle cable

ok ill look into that, anyone else have ideas?

Yea it could be your vacum lines or your Air Control Valve. It might also be your ECU but i doubt it, the air control valve is the major thing that causes the idle to get messed up on hondas. I had the same problem and when i switched the air control valve, it got a little bit better but didn't stop but then a few hours later I changed the PCV valve, it stoped. The PCV valve shouldn't have anything to do with that, even my mechanic was surprised but oh well, it worked. First I would try the air control valve. Switch yours with one of your friends who has a newer car with the same motor series and if it stops, that it and you have to buy a new one for around $130. If that doesn't work, try the PCV valve. You never know

By brother had this happen when his radiator died and leaked all its fluid onto the parking lot.

read the article on "fixing an erratic idle" by pills

Take the IAC off the back of the intake manifold and soak the inside of it with intake medic. Let it sit for an hour or so. Drain out the little bit of fluid. Reinstall the IAC. The car will not want to run very good at first....be patient...the car may die. Once it get a steady idle...let it run for 5 to 10 minutes. Shut it off and your done. (This is all assuming that the spring in the IAC is not broken or stuck...if that is the case then replace the IAC). :spin:

plus you can buy top engine cleaner and spray your TB and intake m. thats what i did and it stopped B)

Back