Funny lil Turbo NOOB story

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Turbo&Auto

Nick Go FAST!!
A guy that I'm friends with in Canada has been building his own garage turbo kits for his beaters, similar to what I do. He had a remote mount turbo on his older Cavy V6 and then changed it out for a GM5 diesle monster turbo. He couldnt spool the monster turbo to build more then 5psi, but he said it was pretty badass still. With lots of traction issues he ran a 14.3 in the 1/4. Keep in mind also that he's tuning with a FMU :rolleyes:

SO, he went on the hunt for something a bit smaller yet not tiny. By the way, he buys all of his turbo stuff at the salvage yard ;) He found a T3 from a 300Z or Grand Nat or something and fabbed it up on the car. WELL, it died after about 100 miles :lol: He went and grabbed another one from the salvage yard and it died in about the same amount of time. When I say die here, I mean the seals blew out and its spewing oil all over and blue smoke like crazy.

I told him to send me some pics of the new setup. Thats when the funny started :lol: I noticed a line coming out of the bottom of the turbo and going into the valve cover :huh: I asked him what that was for and he said it was the oil drain :lmao: I told him I'm 99.9% sure thats the problem. It was running about 5-6" uphill into the valve cover. I told him the general rule of thumb is as straight and downhill as possible for the drain, keyword being DOWNHILL :p

Lemme try and get him to send them to my email again. I deleted them :(

He said the GM5 diesel turbo actually lasted awhile but he took it off because he wanted to experiment with others. This car isnt Daily driven either, so who knows how long it was actually on there.

well yeah, it's gonna work... but as observed: only for a few miles before it burns itself out.

Back