Funny Motor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

2phatt

Hello All.

I am just about as confused as I can be. I have restored 2 vets and built 2 lowriders,
all 8 cyl. This will be my first 4 cyl. I bought a 1990 civic dx cheap to work with.
3 days ago I paid a Local Honda guy to go with me a pick a motor. He had bought several from Pacific Motors before and has a nice self done swap in his 90 si car.
I bought the motor for $1350. Heres my quandry. The motor has a cable tranny and is labeled YS1 #1000973. The motor is marked b16a #1400767.
The motor has extruded oil rails, 2nd gen intake, VTEC is the larger text on the cover. The plugs are all grey except the distributor which has 2 milky white plugs.
Is this a second gen with a cable tranny? Is that possible? The Honda guy told me before he left on vacation that he thought it was out of a JDM Xsi.
If anyone can help I sure would be thankful.
I can email photos of the motor to anyone interested.

Thanks all.
Ralph

the 92-93 JDM XSI are obd1 and utilize a cable tranny just like the usdm 92-93 integras. It is still a good engine for you to use in your DX. If i were you i would find a guy on honda-tech.com named blownhatch, or blown90hatch, i forget, but he makes obd0-obd1 ecu harness, for a decent price. OBD1 is not a bad thing for you to convert your car to, and it is just a little more work. In fact there are much better tunning options when running obd1. you could also convert the motor to obd0. by getting a obd0 distributor, obd0 injectors, a injector resistor box off a 88-91 crx si or hf. honestly you will spend less money and just a little more time converting to obd1.

Check the head it should say the date. If thats the stock tranny it should be out of a 92-93 Xsi.
Thats a Great Motor and Tranny I have one!!! :D

Originally posted by bossman032@Jun 8 2003, 08:23 PM
Check the head it should say the date. If thats the stock tranny it should be out of a 92-93 Xsi.
Thats a Great Motor and Tranny I have one!!! :D

The date on the head is when it was cast, not nescessarily what year it was put into. Mine was cast in 91, but came in a 93 VTi.

I appreciate your responses.
So it is a sir2 motor with a cable tranny?
Do I have to pull the head to find the #?
I didn't see it.

I will check out the blownhatch dude, thanks

Bossman032, Did you do your swap?

Thanks again
Ralph

Originally posted by 2phatt@Jun 9 2003, 08:59 AM
I appreciate your responses.
So it is a sir2 motor with a cable tranny?
Do I have to pull the head to find the #?
I didn't see it.

SiR and SiRII are trim models both availible since 89 in the civic, but anyway, you on't need to pull the head, but the stock header heat shield is in the way. Here is where they are...leftish side above the exhaust manifold...

s3ecfcce4dbbaf.jpg

Thanks for the reply 92b16vx.

I took the cover off and took a photo of the head #s
It's not real clear. I read it as 9/1 0/9 2/1 1/0
Can you tell the compression and hp by this head #?

I couldn't insert the pic.
Guess it requires a photo host site.

Thanks
Ralph

Originally posted by 2phatt@Jun 10 2003, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the reply 92b16vx.

I took the cover off and took a photo of the head #s
It's not real clear. I read it as 9/1 0/9 2/1 1/0
Can you tell the compression and hp by this head #?

I couldn't insert the pic.
Guess it requires a photo host site.

Thanks
Ralph

Cast in 91, you need to look at the number to the right of that one to know if it is the 160hp or 170hp. I believe that the 92-93 Xsi/RSi used the 170 P30 set up that the other JDM 92-95 B16A's did. Here (Germany) we just have the PR3-4 in the civics and the sols got the P30, which I believe you will have (PR3-?) if it is pre 92 Xsi which is the 160hp.

To the right of that set of #s is a PR3-4.
So does that mean that it is a 160hp?

Is all of the difference in the head?
Gen 1 and 2 have the same bore and stroke.
Is there an additional 10hp available with a second gen head?

Any suggestions on how to spend $2000 on that motor?
I like my AC so NA is the direction I am going unless someone out there
knows of a configuration that will allow a t3-04e turbo and A/C. I design machinery for a living so I ain't skeered of custom brackets :blink:
It just doesn't look like there is room.

Does anyone out there know of any available ProE or Autocad files on Hondas?

You all are a great help and I do appreciate it.

Ralph,

A peek at my last creation.

2phatt3.jpg

2phatt1.JPG

Originally posted by pills_PMD+Jun 10 2003, 02:24 PM-->
the xsi did use the p30 pistons etc
Did all of them, or did they start in 92?

2phatt Posted on Jun 10 2003
@ 05:14 PM
To the right of that set of #s is a PR3-4.
So does that mean that it is a 160hp?

Same as mine, more than likely yes, it is the 160ps.

Is there an additional 10hp available with a second gen head?

The heads are the same, the difference is that the JDM 92-95 ran 10.4:1 pistons, higher C/R.

There is plenty of room for a tyrbo, not sure about the keeping of AC, but I'm pretty sure it can be done pretty easily.

Back