funny smell

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

teddy_dc2

car is a boosted gsr 7psi for about 10k now. sometimes when i'm on the highway or accelerating a bit hard 40mph + i get this funny smell like the car took a shit. i cruise at constant speed and it goes away. again when i try to accelerate at high speeds the smell comes back. i'm a smoker and if i can smell this when i'm smoking, it must be bad. this only happens at high speeds. i did a compression test a while back and got 160psi across, the smell just happen recently. any thought?

Exhaust leak and/or the cat taking a dump??

Maybe you just passed gas and in denial.:ph34r:

any other suggestions?

i'm using 3" all the way back with no cat. clutch is cm stage 3 about 5k only, i don't see why it would break down now...

Sounds odd. But I did once burn up a clutch pretty bad intentionally just before I ripped it out. Smelled like shit and plastic burning, thats about the closest thing to it.

You said it came up under acceleration, sounds kinda like a slipping clutch. You could check your adjustment, and make sure your foot isnt resting on the pedal when your driving.

Did it smell like rotten eggs? If so then it is most likely your cat. Take it out and drill it out, that will really fix the problem.

again there is no cat, just 3" all the way back. smells like someone farted. i know how the clutch smells like and i know it's not that. the only thing i could think of was my pistons rings going bad but that would have a burning smell... my brakes have been squeaking lately too at low speeds, could it be that?

if cant be ur rings, if u did the compression test and it was alright, that means ur rings are alright, but to be sure do a leak down test and see, just to take the rings out of ur problem

hun, 90% of you say it's a clutch issue, i'll look more into that. i'll try a leak down test...

come to think of it, I did once have an issue that was like that when my calipers were locking up at one point. Had some cheap NAPA brakes on and it smelled like ass. At least that may be worth investigating. But Checking the fluid on both the clutch and the brakes is a first look.

Has there been any work done to the brakes lately?

Sounds like the brake master cylinder is leaking into the booster, then being sucked into the intake manifold and being burnt through the exhaust. Just a little bit smells like poop and you cant see it coming from the exhaust unless your directly behind the car, a lot leaking has a kinda sweet smell but burns your nose like ammonia and white smoke will BILLOW from your tail pipe like one of those smoke screen kits. Yank the vent tube from the booster to the intake mani. and look in it. If you don't see fluid, then take a big wiff of it. If it smells like brake fluid. Change the booster and the master cylinder.

I don't think its the clutch, I smoked the clutch in my civic and it smelled like someone was riding new- cheap brake pads. Never smelled a shit smell from a clutch before.....but I could be wrong.

Usually the clutch burning smells the same as brake pads.. it's the same type of compound on both..

hun, nice info.brake fluid is fine. had car for three years. new pads when i got them, three years ago that is. i'll check that, seems the caliper is moving or shaking when coming to a stop. sounds like a squeaking bed.

Back