Garage heat options

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cheese9988

VIP
Winter is fast approaching, looking for some garage heat options that won't kill the bank.

I've been using a propane torpedo heater, one of the smallest units sold. It works well enough that I can walk around in a tee shirt, but it goes through a (grill) tank of propane every eight hours or so. It's a pain to keep swapping the fugger out, and costs $24 a pop.

So my thoughts are to either either find a cheaper source of propane, an alternate form of heat, or find a way to better insulate the garage (probably the most difficult).

I've thought about a wood burner, but it'd take up alot of space. Maybe a kerosene torpedo if it lasts longer; at least then I could more easily store fuel.

What are you all using out there?

We started out using rocket heaters, but eventually upgraded to a trailer/mobile home furnace.
They can be sourced pretty cheaply on craigslist or similar sources, the have a smaller foot print, are forced hotair out the bottom so if you build it on a wooden stand and then put a kickout or ducting on the bottom to direct across the garage floor. They can be had in both propane and fuel oil options.
The ease and cost will vary greatly depending on your handyman skill levels, and comfort fuxing with these types of things.
We started with a propane job running off BBQ tanks, then upgraded to a larger outside tank, and then switched over to a fuel oil job when a cheap tank and furnace became available.

Note - This was a 24x40 shop/metal pole barn, so your sq ft heating requirement might be very different.
We originally threw up plastic on the ceiling to keep the heat from escaping, and eventually did sheetrock.

You can also get those no vent propane heaters from home depot or lowes for under $100 bucks, but they might end up giving you a headache, or potentially killing you in you fall asleep with no ventilation.
If the rocket heater isn't causing you any issues, then I doubt a ventless will cause you any problem either. Much less noisy.
Direct vent units can be had fairly cheaply as well.
You ever look into a pellet stove?

Do you keep cars / gas cans in there?

One car, tools, 2nd fridge, and random junk. I have a shed out back with the gas cans. Not looking for constant heat, just to warm me up when I'm out there playing with the car.

We started out using rocket heaters, but eventually upgraded to a trailer/mobile home furnace.
They can be sourced pretty cheaply on craigslist or similar sources, the have a smaller foot print, are forced hotair out the bottom so if you build it on a wooden stand and then put a kickout or ducting on the bottom to direct across the garage floor. They can be had in both propane and fuel oil options.

I like the small furnace idea. The garage is close to the house, I might be able to bury gas line. Looking around I found the heater below on Amazon. It includes a propane conversion kit, so I could use that until I bury a gas line.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LWW7V7K/ref=psdc_516188_t1_B007R5873I

That looks like a good option

Nice find, cheaper than anything on Home Depot for direct vent.

Depending on how far the garage is you could also add another zone to your home's heating system with another circulator, pex and a radiator or base board. But that would probably require more constant heat if you have a hot water system. That 50k BTU job should warm it up fast enough to not have to keep it on all the time.

Another option; is to get an old ass kerosene torpedo heater with a janky ass ignitor that doesn't fire off for about 10 minutes after you turn the heater on. So that a shit load of fuel builds up in the torpedo tube then suddenly it shoots out a 10 foot long afterburner style flame when it finally lights. Heats up a drafty old garage really damn fast, and wakes you right up, really gets the adrenaline flowing.

#back in the day
#del Sol build
#Ray's garage

Good to see we all remember where we came from lol
We had one that sometimes had issues and would fast cycle on and off... pppssssshhhh POP ppppsssshhhhhhh POP pppssshhhhhhhh POP!

Propane is expensive by you. I paid 10 dollars for a 20# fill at a uhaul near my house. Tractor supply was $12 last month for 20# and they are by the gallon.

At our beach cottage we have a gas wall furnace, its keeps the place decently warm on a 30-40 degree night. 1200 sqft with no insulation or sheetrock.

Propane is expensive by you. I paid 10 dollars for a 20# fill at a uhaul near my house. Tractor supply was $12 last month for 20# and they are by the gallon.

At our beach cottage we have a gas wall furnace, its keeps the place decently warm on a 30-40 degree night. 1200 sqft with no insulation or sheetrock.

I've been getting it at Home Depot in Salem, NH. I'll check Tractor Supply.

I just installed a 20,000 btu blue flame propane mr heater in my 500 sqft garage on wednesday. its wall mounted and has a pilot light. It requires 11-14 inches of water for inlet pressure. which is about 1/3 to 1/2 psi. I've read a 20lb bottle of propane can last about 40 hours. I suppose I could give you better information on it once winter really hits.

Propane exchange is always more expensive than the fill your own bottle.
Not sure if you are just filling or exchanging, but that price seemed high to me as well.

I just installed a 20,000 btu blue flame propane mr heater in my 500 sqft garage on wednesday. its wall mounted and has a pilot light. It requires 11-14 inches of water for inlet pressure. which is about 1/3 to 1/2 psi. I've read a 20lb bottle of propane can last about 40 hours. I suppose I could give you better information on it once winter really hits.

MHVFB20LPT Is the model i bought from amazon for $160 + $60 at lowes for a regulator, hose, fitings and valve.

What about a wood or pellet stove? My brother in law had one in his garage...worked great

Winter is fast approaching, looking for some garage heat options that won't kill the bank.

I've been using a propane torpedo heater, one of the smallest units sold. It works well enough that I can walk around in a tee shirt, but it goes through a (grill) tank of propane every eight hours or so. It's a pain to keep swapping the fugger out, and costs $24 a pop.

So my thoughts are to either either find a cheaper source of propane, an alternate form of heat, or find a way to better insulate the garage (probably the most difficult).

I've thought about a wood burner, but it'd take up alot of space. Maybe a kerosene torpedo if it lasts longer; at least then I could more easily store fuel.

How big is your shop? Insulated?

Sorry for thread necromancy, but I remembered seeing this conversation and wanted to ask what you ended up doing. I'm looking at a similar situation for a house I'm in the process of purchasing.

Back