Gardening Thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

the shed's a pile of shit in the first place. it already leaks. Not to mention, the doors don't close correctly, and its on a slope. Who ever built/installed this thing was worse at construction than I am.

the shed's a pile of shit in the first place. it already leaks. Not to mention, the doors don't close correctly, and its on a slope. Who ever built/installed this thing was worse at construction than I am.

With how you handled that speaker wire run, this is hard to believe. :ph34r:

how could you forget that Steve. The funniest part was the phone call i got from him asking how long spackle takes to dry.

I fixed my whole condo. Hired a decorator.

end product:

2212d1173761267-pict0490.jpg

Last edited:
garden bed is complete.

248596_10150205363990606_501130605_7014950_4276399_n.jpg

5 rows for crops running a mix of garden soil (top soil, manure, plant food, organic blend) mixed with the oem earth, heaped up a bit.
black mulch laid in the walk rows x4 to hold water and prevent weed growth
all rocks that i dug up laid nice to make a border to help hold the soil/prevent run off in excessive rain.
still have a ton of rocks (2 piles) to do something with (left center and top right), but i ran out of daylight tonight.

Waiting to see what happens thursday, weather-wise, and then i'm likely putting the crops in the ground.

so, whats going to keep the critters out of your crops?

This season will be a learning experience.

I have no idea what critters will even show up, so it's hard to defend against an unknown enemy.

My yard is fenced in, so that will keep the larger stuff like deer away.
i'm pretty sure birds/squirrels/chipmunks don't eat most the stuff i'm planting
bugs, i dunno what to expect. mosquitos? i'd rather not use any pesticides if i don't have to.

we'll see what happens.

we always used to use human hair in a sock to try and keep the deer away
birds, squirrels, chipmunks were all a different story
but that was mainly a problem with the fruit trees, not so much the garden i guess

This season will be a learning experience.

I have no idea what critters will even show up, so it's hard to defend against an unknown enemy.

My yard is fenced in, so that will keep the larger stuff like deer away.
i'm pretty sure birds/squirrels/chipmunks don't eat most the stuff i'm planting
bugs, i dunno what to expect. mosquitos? i'd rather not use any pesticides if i don't have to.

we'll see what happens.

RABBITS, RABBITS, RABBITS - will devour anything and everything...

good thing he knows someone with their retirement in lead
i'd personally probably rather feed the rabbit than kill it
if shit hits the fan it'd be nice to have a nice plump rabbit for dinner instead of vegetables

Took some pics today. I finished hooking up a drip system yesterday because i was tired of climbing up and down that every day with the hose to water everything. I'm starting the think, though, that for the money I have in everything I could have just bought organic produce from the farmers market all summer and probably spent about the same amount of $$. So far I probably have $200 in it all together including the plants, drip system, and the little bit of fertilizer I've bought. Ahh yes, fertilizer, just a heads up here but fish emulsion smells f'ing nasty. I guess the plants love it, but that stuff is foul.

2011-06-01_14-55-45_304.jpg

the stuff under those stakes are snow peas. What I did there isn't gonna work because those things bend too much so I'm gonna have to get a piece of lattice.
2011-06-01_15-11-27_938.jpg

46 corn plants. Gonna have a shit load of corn in a couple months.
2011-06-01_15-11-05_885.jpg

Looks like this cucumber is gonna be the first thing that gets picked
2011-06-01_15-10-57_230.jpg

This is the top bed. From closest to farthest, Bush Blue Lake beans, cantaloupe, habanero pepper, and corn.
2011-06-01_15-10-48_814.jpg

Middle bed. More beans along the wall in the foreground. The rest is early white scallop squash, cucumber, yellow straightneck squash, serrano peppers, zucchini, orange bell, 2 heirloom tomatos, red bell peppers, and way back there is a watermelon plant.
2011-06-01_15-10-20_471.jpg

part of the lower bed, basil and tomatillo
2011-06-01_15-10-08_150.jpg

And the other part of the lower bed. Snow peas on the wall and two rows of carrots in front of that
2011-06-01_15-27-08_654.jpg

Last edited:
Back