Gas prices

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

raising taxes to lower demand doesn't change the price. the gas cost more, but demand is down. it's an even scale. there is nothing the consumer can do to lower gas costs. period.

Yes but It would force you to change your lifestyle. Like buying a ugly hybrid, forcing us to carpool. It will make alterative energy look more appealing to consumers.

The reason we dont really move to alterative energy is because it is realitve expensive when compared to gas, mainly because it is new technolgy. Which could even help with global warming.

But rasing taxes on gas would be politcal suicde for any polition, that why it would never be applied. It would in the short run through the economy in the shiter, even worse than now. Hell I would not vote for them, would you?

...and this moves away from OPEC being the primary cause, how exactly?

Have you not looked at the historical trend. Surely, the dollar is contributing to prices today, but as I said and as you seemed to have not keyed in on and completely ignored, prices were rising before the value of the dollar was declining.

Did you not look at the inflation index? Energy cost increases have not been on target with inflation, they are much further ahead of inflation.

...but, the primary cause must still be inflation, correct? Clearly this proves that the primary cause is not the buying power of currency, but rather OPEC sees the decline of the dollar in comparison to the euro and is thinking of hopping ship before its too late. OPEC's talks are a result of a decline in market conditions in the US, oil prices are not a result of a decline in the US market but rather an increase in the consumption of foreign markets while production remains earmarked and limited by OPEC.

Why oh why do I even bother trying.

***edit - Since I feel I did an ineffective job of explaining the link between oil and inflation, that many have missed, I'll explicitly spell out the situation.

I'll go so far as to say, that the increase in oil prices are directly related to a rise in inflation; this is not the sole reason for inflation but surely a core cause of inflation. Increases in energy prices are passed down the market. The reason eggs have recently shot up in price is due to an increase in manufacturing costs. Manufacturing costs have increased because of the rising price of energy that is passed onto the cost to run machinery. Example, it may have once cost $1.00 to run that industrial machinery for 10minutes, whereas it now costs $2.00 for the same activity. Manufacturers are not going to absorb this cost, they are going to build this price into the cost of goods sold and the ultimate price paid by the consumer.

Furthermore, a push to alternative energy sources has driven agriculture prices through the roof (This might be a good area to look if you're thinking of investing your money in the market). Farmers are being paid more for their corn, as demand for ethanol as an energy source increases. Therefore farmers are opting to not grow other grains, like wheat, barley, etc. and turning to producing a greater amount of corn. This drives the price of other grains higher, as the supply decreases and therefore the demand increases. Its really no wonder why our food prices are much higher.

Factor in the cost of transportation, with increased energy costs directly associated with transportation costs, and you have prices that continue to rise as the price of oil rises. This is why many companies are turning to alternative sources of transportation such as the railroad. The railroad has dedicated about $10billion worth of capital into the furtherance of the railroad system in the country over the past 5 years, with much more money earmarked over the next 5-10years.

Thats the consolidated, in a nutshell version, of *ONE* of the reasons why we're feeling the effects of inflation.

This characterizes how OPEC's potential move is a result of the increased price they have already passed onto the United States. Therefore inflation was not originally a primary cause, but as the economy works, inflation has now snowballed into the equation and is helping to drive the prices higher.

I quoted this because I added about a quarter page of more information for anyone interested in the rationale behind my thinking.

raising taxes to lower demand doesn't change the price. the gas cost more, but demand is down. it's an even scale. there is nothing the consumer can do to lower gas costs. period.

The price of oil will begin to fall as demand falls, but as price falls demand will rise again.

Currently, under our system, the way taxes are structured, the consumer can most definitely do things to lower gas costs. The Europeans will feel increased gas prices because of their tax structure, but my situation in America was strictly hypothetical.

As it stands, we don't have taxes on gasoline to curb demand but rather the gasoline tax is primarily to raise revenue.

If we curbed our consumption prices would fall, but very few people are willing to take the personal responsibility and to sacrifice their "independence" that their car of choice provides them.

There are most definitely ways to lower the cost of oil and all this bullshit spewed by fools that says China will make up for our consumption have lost their damn mind. If we stop consuming for a day, China isn't going to consume XXX amount more, simply because we didn't. Over a prolonged period, if energy prices dropped then this might entice foreign markets to consume more but as soon as prices dropped Americans would jump back in on the action, anyway.

The problem with lowering the cost of oil is that we will still be sucking from the tit of the Middle East and as soon as price dips, demand will begin to rise again.

Thats why the key to lowering prices is to indefinitely lower demand. Think mildly regulated consumption and alternative fuel sources or the discovery of more oil.

Yes but It would force you to change your lifestyle. Like buying a ugly hybrid, forcing us to carpool. It will make alterative energy look more appealing to consumers.

The reason we dont really move to alterative energy is because it is realitve expensive when compared to gas, mainly because it is new technolgy. Which could even help with global warming.

But rasing taxes on gas would be politcal suicde for any polition, that why it would never be applied. It would in the short run through the economy in the shiter, even worse than now. Hell I would not vote for them, would you?
the governor of washington state raised gas taxes $.10/gallon her first fucking day in office. her first fucking day. and this was following a shitty campaign that demanded 3 recounts of the votes before she was declared the winner. our government is corrupt, society is fucking retarded, if i had the money, i would buy a beach in thailand and eat rice all day and play on the beach. i'm so sick of our shitty fucking government. hypocritical politicians, rich rappers that can't fucking read, and $30 million dollar jets while our kids can't pass fucking state assessments. jesus christ and mylanta, i need an aspirin.
The price of oil will begin to fall as demand falls, but as price falls demand will rise again.

Currently, under our system, the way taxes are structured, the consumer can most definitely do things to lower gas costs. The Europeans will feel increased gas prices because of their tax structure, but my situation in America was strictly hypothetical.

As it stands, we don't have taxes on gasoline to curb demand but rather the gasoline tax is primarily to raise revenue.

If we curbed our consumption prices would fall, but very few people are willing to take the personal responsibility and to sacrifice their "independence" that their car of choice provides them.

There are most definitely ways to lower the cost of oil and all this bullshit spewed by fools that says China will make up for our consumption have lost their damn mind. If we stop consuming for a day, China isn't going to consume XXX amount more, simply because we didn't. Over a prolonged period, if energy prices dropped then this might entice foreign markets to consume more but as soon as prices dropped Americans would jump back in on the action, anyway.

The problem with lowering the cost of oil is that we will still be sucking from the tit of the Middle East and as soon as price dips, demand will begin to rise again.

Thats why the key to lowering prices is to indefinitely lower demand. Think mildly regulated consumption and alternative fuel sources or the discovery of more oil.
the only reason i give a fuck about gas prices is that i'm a car person. i love driving. it's what i do for fun. they are fucking me out of my pleasure in life. if i loved to ride a bike i wouldn't give a shit. i need a new fucking hobby or to be infinitely rich to where gas could cost $20/gallon and i wouldnt' give a fuck.

Did Gregiore get elected? I think I moved when all that shit was going on, but I remember I didn't like her. She's an ugly, stupid bitch who doesn't know shit about anything having to do with managing people. Or money for that matter....

Did Gregiore get elected? I think I moved when all that shit was going on, but I remember I didn't like her. She's an ugly, stupid bitch who doesn't know shit about anything having to do with managing people. Or money for that matter....
yep, she sure did. i saw her in person about 2 months ago. she's hideous. i was going to ask her about the gas hike, but i didn't get the chance. she was on the move and i just said hi.

the only reason i give a fuck about gas prices is that i'm a car person. i love driving. it's what i do for fun. they are fucking me out of my pleasure in life. if i loved to ride a bike i wouldn't give a shit. i need a new fucking hobby or to be infinitely rich to where gas could cost $20/gallon and i wouldnt' give a fuck.

You do understand that on this board, alone, there's a 1000 people who feel the same way that you do? Think of all the people who feel the same way that you do. Think of all the people, who aren't car enthusiasts, but need there Ford Excursion or 7 series BMW to convey a certain image. All of us thumb our noses at the thought of being regulated. Frankly the best thing the government could do, in my opinion, in our current state is to raise the taxes on oil to curb demand. The government will be generating more revenue, it hits the biggest offenders of vehicles that have the lowest miles per gallon efficiency the hardest, and it gives way to investigate and develop alternative energy sources. I don't think we'll find ourselves away from oil for a long term, its too ingrained in our society - we couldn't go a day without oil, but we could target our transportation needs which account for the largest majority of oil consumption.

Bush supported Hydrogen fuel cells, knowing that the technology is at least 10years away and has some serious cost associated for the development. That was a terrible short term strategy, whereas if we looked towards raising EPA fuel efficiency requires and demanding more hybrids we could consume much less oil.

Instead, we're all selfish and want our own way.

I bought my car knowing I would get piss poor gas mileage when I beat on it, yet the joy of the car outweighed the increase price of gas. Small decisions like mine and yours add up to huge collective decisions that give a resounding answer that Americans do not care about their oil consumption.

We make the decisions we do, because we can. Its like one of my rich buddies, he was shot down by a car at the bar one night when he was away at work, and he came back to his hotel suite and destroyed his room. He knew that he could pay for the room and to him, obviously the feeling of destroying the room and getting his anger out was greater than the perceived repercussions of having to pay for the damages.

If you had all the money in the world, you would say fuck the environment, fuck the cost of oil, let me enjoy myself. ...we're not very socially responsible when it comes to such ideas.

Last edited:
i understand this. i have my turbocharged nissan. when i abuse it, i get shit for mileage. our issues go far beyond the consumers tough. look at the oil companies with record profits. look at the car companies not producing hybrid vehicles at a reasonable cost. our government isn't trying to do anything about the efficiency of the vehicles on the road. we are too worried about having 25 airbags and daytime running lights instead of fuel efficiency and economics.

americans as a culture are greedy. no doubt about that. like i said, the day i can buy an suv that has 40mpg, is under $30k, and isn't as hideous as a prius is the day i change. for now i can eat the cost of my nissan or take the bus. right now, i'm really thinking about the bus. and that still cost $80/month and i have to drive 2 miles to the bus stop.

i understand this. i have my turbocharged nissan. when i abuse it, i get shit for mileage. our issues go far beyond the consumers tough. look at the oil companies with record profits. look at the car companies not producing hybrid vehicles at a reasonable cost. our government isn't trying to do anything about the efficiency of the vehicles on the road. we are too worried about having 25 airbags and daytime running lights instead of fuel efficiency and economics.

americans as a culture are greedy. no doubt about that. like i said, the day i can buy an suv that has 40mpg, is under $30k, and isn't as hideous as a prius is the day i change. for now i can eat the cost of my nissan or take the bus. right now, i'm really thinking about the bus. and that still cost $80/month and i have to drive 2 miles to the bus stop.

Dune Buggy.

shit, for 18k I'll build you a new Meyers Manxter. NEW.

Walk or ride a bike the two miles to the bus stop.
i could, but like i said before. i have to be business professional. which entails a suit and tie. often times a laptop or bag with stuff and a lunch in it. it's the only thing i can't fudge on.

Personally I don't even give a fuck about gasoline prices anymore. But natural gas just kicked my bill in the ass again. We used less last month than we did the month before, and the bill was 3 bucks more expensive... and that's with new windows put in.

[/QUOTE]
here is a pretty good thread that pretty much wraps it up.

Gas Prices Jump, Oil Hits $110

Wow, the price for barrel just went up...the gas already in the gas tanks at stations just went up...I didn't know gas already purchased, delivered and on sale now costs more because barrels to be pumped out of the ground a half a world away had a price increase?

this is a very ignorant thread. it's called a replacement cost. if gas prices go up today, they have already paid for the gas in the tanks. so when it goes up today for them, they must pay the raised prices to fill it.

My only solution at the moment is to buy all my fuel at Costco (cheapest in town) and pay for it with my American Express Card

that's about 3.45/gallon @ 92 Octane and I get roughly 10 cents a gallon cash back so I figure about 3.35 a gallon

07_Prius.jpg

my next car :-(

Back