Gas saving ideas?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YouKnowWhoIBee

my avatar is better.
I know that recently i have been getting horrible gas milage. 280ish miles to the tank at best. And with an 11.9 gallon tank that means i am getting 23.6 miles to the gallon. I dont drive a v8 for christ sake. So upon researching i found a few things that promote better gas milage. Not just for me but everyone because with the gas prices only getting higher because of bush still being in office. But post you ideas up ...

Keep Your Engine Properly Tuned - like o2 sensor and fuel filter
Fuel Economy Benefit: 4-40%
Equivalent Gasoline Savings: $0.09-$0.88/gallon

Check & Replace Air Filters Regularly
Fuel Economy Benefit: up to 10%
Equivalent Gasoline Savings: up to $0.22/gallon

Keep Tires Properly Inflated
Fuel Economy Benefit: up to 3%
Equivalent Gasoline Savings: up to $0.07/gallon

Use the Recommended Grade of Motor Oil
Fuel Economy Benefit: 1-2%
Equivalent Gasoline Savings: $0.02-$0.04/gallon

brought to you by

also i read that you should...

Avoid filling gas tank to top. Overfilling results in sloshing over and out of tank. Never fill gas tank past the first "click" of fuel nozzle, if nozzle is automatic.

Buy gasoline during coolest time of day - early morning or late evening is best. During these times gasoline is densest. Keep in mind - gas pumps measure volumes of gasoline, not densities of fuel concentration. You are charged according to "volume of measurement".

Avoid prolonged warming up of engine, even on cold mornings - 30 to 45 seconds is plenty of time.

Not just for me but everyone because with the gas prices only getting higher because of bush still being in office.

Not as much his fault as you think, Europeans have been paying over $6 a gallon for a long time now, eventually we're going to catch up.

That aside, lots of good tips here, most of them seemed commonplace, but I'm sure a lot of people will find some use from it.

Avoid filling gas tank to top. Overfilling results in sloshing over and out of tank. Never fill gas tank past the first "click" of fuel nozzle, if nozzle is automatic.

I have never seen gas "slosh" over the tank from people filling past the first "click." When does this happen?

Originally posted by cheese9988@Aug 29 2005, 11:01 AM

I have never seen gas "slosh" over the tank from people filling past the first "click." When does this happen?
[post=546758]Quoted post[/post]​

Most I've ever seen is maybe a half a shot-glass worth and it was cuz I was on a long trip and trying to put every drop I could in my tank. Also if you have a tank filled to the cap, you can lose gas during cornering through the vents.

Delivering pizzas every day, about a tank every two days. I noticed that if I squeezed the handle a few more times for that 'last drop' that I actually got worse gas mileage on the tank. I dont know how or why, but several weeks of filling up every day proved it to me.

I also checked my timing, as I was getting the same MPG on the HW as city (33MPG) after adjusting my timing that was waaaay off, The rex's HW mileage jumped from 33 to 50+ (no lie)

I thought Bush went to Iraq for oil. I guess that theory doesnt work anymore....

Yea, if think gas prices are bad now, wait til the impact from katrina shutting down the gulfs oil rigs comes to the pumps.

And FYI, I am not sure when honda started doing this, but I am damn near positive the OBDII cars have it. When your engine is above about a grand, and your throttle is closed, the injectors are not firing any fuel into the motor. This means leave that bitch in gear slowing to a stop, and when you can take advatage of being able to coast downhill in 5th. Gas cost = 0 in those instances.

well that theory just shits on us non obd guys huh? :( Oh yea, and it's not bush's fault for the increase in gas prices. its been doing this since before he got into office. It just takes time....

Originally posted by YouKnowWhoIBee@Aug 29 2005, 10:42 AM
I know that recently i have been getting horrible gas milage. 280ish miles to the tank at best. And with an 11.9 gallon tank that means i am getting 23.6 miles to the gallon. I dont drive a v8 for christ sake. So upon researching i found a few things that promote better gas milage. Not just for me but everyone because with the gas prices only getting higher because of bush still being in office. But post you ideas up ...

up of engine, even on cold mornings - 30 to 45 seconds is plenty of time.
[post=546732]Quoted post[/post]​

All very good maintenance points. Now, as for gasoline prices, Bush is at fault, for the most part (and no, I'm not what may be called a "Bush Basher"). Gas prices have been on the rise since 2001, due in great part to the US consumer's fascination with SUV's. In the weeks right after the 9/11attacks, gas prices were really low. I remember seeing $1.06/gal. Airlines were grounded, and fuel just sat in the tanks. Then Bush went nuts and ordered the filling up of the Strategic Oil Reserves, which still continues. :unsure: Cheney sent a memo to Bush indicating that filling up the SOR would cause oil prices to increase. Music to W's ears. Did I also mention the US's fascination with the darn SUV's? Two and two equals four: Huge price increases. Get ready for $5/gal in the near future. You read it here first.

Peace

Nice find, don't forget to replace older catalytic converters also.

Aside from your car's mechanical problems, this is something that is a major concern for all of us right now, and there is one universal solution for it. We all need to make a genuine effort to drive less. It might sound stupid at first, but think about it for a second. I know most of us work too far from home to walk, but we all need to look at our habits and see if maybe we can cut down on how much we drive. It's about all we can do. Also, those of us driving V8 gas guzzling monsters, should think about maybe trading the hog in for a more fuel efficient vehicle. If you read up on the reasons for increasing gas prices, it's not really that we have a Texas oil man in the White House, it's that our demand for gasoline is at an all time high, and climbing. You know the old rule: as demand goes up, price goes up. Just like how people pay $1000 more for a GSR motor that only has 10 more horses than a B16. Demand really does drive prices. And as long as we don't change our driving habits and keep on doing what we have been, the prices will continue to rise. Again as we are all powerless to do anything about the rising gas prices, the only thing we can do is those two things.

today i spent 80 bucks and replaced the air filter, dist. cap, dist rotor, spark plugs, and spark plug wires on the integra. and i pumped up all my tires. it all needed to be done, badly. the air filter looked like shit. and the cap/rotor/wires/plugs didnt look that great either, and my rear tires were both at like 25 psi. hoping to see some significant gains :)

Back