Gas Tank Overflowing?...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ah that is a good point, he said he just bought the motor, that very well may be the problem. I doubt the head/block is warped so bad its pissing oil everywhere without smoking from burning coolant, and spraying it out eveywhere too.

the filter gasket surface was clean, i always wipe them clean with a rag before i install a new filter. but that is besides the point, as i actually SEEN the oil gushing from the gasket right in the center of the head on the rear of the engine. that's how i came to the conclusion that the motor was either cracked/warped badly, or had a severely blown head gasket. only time will tell, i'll probably get a chance to look at it on sunday.

as for the cap recommendation, i threw a new one on there after i installed the new pump, so as soon as it's running again i'll let you guys know if it worked (and i saved the old one in case the problem went away, so i could re-install it and see if it was the pump or the cap.) i have my fingers crossed.

things didn't work out this weekend, got into a job that i wasn't able to finish and now have to roll it over to monday >.<! anyhow i WILL update as soon as i found out the results of both of these problems.

I finally got the time to diagnose and repair the headgasket (which it turned out to be.) the old owner had put the gasket on upside down before i took delivery of it, which i think was because he had it in pieces and slapped it together before i came to pick it up. with the head gasket upside down, there's one of the little retaining rings that hold the layers together on a seating surface of the block/head. those rings don't compress, causing the sealing issue.

well now that that's all done and sorted, i'll get to test out the new fuel pump and cap as soon as it gets hot and i can move the vehicle into the sun. it's dark here now, but i've verified that the vehicle runs. as soon as i can, i'll get it out in the heat and see what happens. will update with the results.

yeah, i'm so pumped that it's finally up and running. when i started it it was idling a little rough, and the burning oil fumes almost killed me while it was idling outside of my garage. it needs a good degreasing after that head gasket issue, and an alignment (i put all poly bushings on it while it was out of commission) before i can actually drive it around.

well it would seem that the problem was remedied, however it was overcast yesterday and rained the second half of the day. so until it gets real hot here again (possibly later today or tomorrow) i wont know for sure. however i'll swap the old cap back on there once i feel that i know for sure it's fixed, and i'll follow up with what the problem was.

I feel for you, I just found out the my HF that I've driven all of 1 week needs a new hg too. Oh well, it's getting itself new rings, clutch, and aluminum flywheel while it's in pieces. Also going to fix that stripped out rear trans mount.

You could have just left your gas cap loose or off too until you figured out the problem, save you some money.

k, i feel that the problem is fixed now. no leakage after a shakedown run around the block and parking in the sun after. i put the old cap on and after a few minutes, i could hear a hissing noise. so rather than wait for precious $4.50/gallon fuel to come spilling out, i threw in the towel. the problem turned out to be the gas cap, like previously mentioned. i had to get that walbro pump in there anyway, so this was good motivation ^^.

the new motor is a little rough around the edges, idle quality is decent, but low rpm feels like there's a missfire or something. which is odd considering just about everything that's replaceable was replaced. but i need to get new tires and an alignment before i go tracking down that mess.

Back