1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gas Theories, any truth to this

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by nootrac22, Nov 16, 2007.

1. nootrac22

nootrac22 Well-Known Member VIP

well I got an email today, and it was fairly interesting, about how gas pumps and pricing work. I just wanted a to get some feedback on it before I call BSl

2. Taco15

Taco15 I wear stretchy pants VIP

sounds alittle to smart to me. Too much detail so you'll believe him........ in fact he might be lying.

but you never know even if he wasnt lying, all that crap would not be enough to make a difference.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  3. dacheat

dacheat ..is grounded.

imho, don't hurt to apply the logic, isn't like it costs anything...but as far as whether or not any of it is true? pfff ;)

4. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

The cold thing is true. But as you warm up, it fills the volume creating pressure in the system. there is a valve that will let that pressure go. You're efforts are in vain.

The other vapor you're talking about is negligable. Like, less than a cc over a tank.

you really wanna conserve fuel ? stop fucking flooring it when the light turns green.

5. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

the water in the tank would worry me more
    there are filters for dirt
    no filters for water in your gas tank though

you also want to consider that more weight = less mileage
    gallon of gas weighs 5.8 - 6.5 lbs
    half a tank would be at least 30 extra pounds
    effects are negligable, but its something to consider

whats your time worth?

6. Celerity

The only way to significantly cut down your fuel expense / stop being such a candy ass is to ride a bike

THE END

7. nootrac22

nootrac22 Well-Known Member VIP

how bout a rickshaw?

8. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

gospel right there bitches.

9. Celerity

My bike shop has a real rickshaw (TukTuk) and it blows chunks.

Bikes are where it's at. Balancing is the easiest thing to do (Catching it when you fuck up, not easy)

10. klyph

klyph Dismember VIP

11. dacheat

dacheat ..is grounded.

oh man i can't even thank you enough for posting that vid :lmao:

12. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

13. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

god bless ong bak.

wonderful scene.

Most of thats true, but applying those "simple" instruction is ultimately gonna save you about 50c at the pump (assuming gas is 3 bucks a gallon).

14. khrisb

khrisb ******

it's your. :ban:

I don't buy gas above 3 dollars a gallon. I just can't bring myself to do it.
    And those tips sound like bs.

15. Celerity

Here is another tidbit I thought about today: All of these tips to put more volume or denser volume into your tank doesn't save you a goddam thing, because it's metered specifically.

Gas stations will spend tens of thousands of dollars to save a single drop after every pump. So the temperature thing, the flow volume thing, it's all meaningless.

And you're (YOU ARE .. I know grammar, I backspaced the sentence "You (are) vain to think.." and forgot to blow out the rest of it.) going to spend whatever for gas that "they" want you to. They key is what you do with it. Even driving an economical car over a non-economical one. If you feel that you get the extra enjoyment out of it, then get it. If you think it's worth $20 extra a week to sit in traffic in an LCD loaded SUV over a Civic, then you have every justification.

16. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

how the shit you going to drive then?

17. Celerity

sooner or later, these prices will be so high, and cars efficient enough, that people will find it's easy to pay $1 (about 5 cents per gallon) more to get into a station that's well lit, has good facilities and modern pumps.

They are only backing themselves into a hole that they can't get out of.

18. Airjockie

Airjockie Watanabe Whore!!!

To save gas....or extend your miles...by Airjockie.

look at your tires....find the max pressure...and add 5 psi over that...bulb out those tires....if the max is 51...then run 56psi. And the more pressure in the tire actually gives more grip.

Get the lightest wheels you can find...they may be expensive...but the long run investment will save you crazy dollars.

Get the lightest tires possible...rubber is heavy, additional rotational mass on the wheels sucks HP...which sucks up gas dollars.

Streamline the car...Aero-kits were first put on cars to aerodynamically help the car flow thru the air....and save gas. Even taking the passenger mirror off will net you an incredible 1 MPG for commuting.

lower the car...to a point....ride height affects aero as much as as putting air brakes on a car...less drag, less power to pull the car down the road...saves gas.

Coast down hills...if your wheel bearings up to par...then you will go decently fast anyways...

Put a damn garden trim front nose lip mod on the car...the less air under the car, can scrape and get damaged and costs $4.99 a roll...will save a few more MPG's.

smaller tires and wheels....the optimum tire and weight for a honda would be at or close to 20 lbs per corner...I got a set at 21lbs, but for race only...and I could only imagine what that would do for commuting...but normal stock wheels and tires will be about 35-40 lbs.... uses more power to rotate the wheels to get the car rolling, and more gas is needed....17,18,19, and 24" wheels are gas guzzling fuckers.

Loose the wings, and get Vortech Generators....unless you can aim the wing to give some lift at a certain speed to lighten the car when it's at a commuting speed....and still stay on the ground to be safe for handling....

change your sparkplugs and ignition parts on a decent time schedule....a better running car will use all the gas that gets pumped thru it, and not use part of it and decrees the volumetric efficacy. Plus a new gas cap once in a while for the high emission cars also helps.

Get a damn 86-87 CRX HF...stock has 54 MPG's, and the parts for the cars nowadays are incredible if you want to sport it out to be cool it can be. Or build the Walter's Engine Setup that we played around with and get 75 MPG. That car should get studied, and worked on some more to find out why it did what it did. If I had a cryogenic tank...I bet I could rebuild that engine to get about 100 mpg.... hehehe.

Basically, your upkeep of the cars condition, adding a little aero-ish rice products, getting the best wheels and tires for your use of the car, and modifying some driving habits...can significantly increase the MPG's to save some money. The main factor is car choice.... Civic's will never see the gas pumps as much as the huge SUV's....unless your running NOS, a huge Turbo, and it can't be tuned properly and it will run like shit.

19. Airjockie

Airjockie Watanabe Whore!!!

also if you have a car that has a mechanically driven fan powered from a pulley on the engine...rip it off and get an electrical fan... That will save so much gas...you'd be amazed.

20. Celerity

90% of what you say is tested and wrong . And a wing that maintains any lift at "commuting speed" yet may come close to "lift" would be 25x25 feet :)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted