Gas Theories, any truth to this

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well lemme clarify, everything you said DOES work, but it all works in different situations.

Depends on what your drive is. If it's wide open back roads, such as what I deal with, then it's going to be different than if you were in dense traffic. That, and my car commute occurs only on days of heavy rain or intense cold (Making a new need and economy zone)

Spending $6000 on stuff to make your car more economical, isn't always smart (Unless you plan on keeping it for a VERY long time)

my commute is at 80 mph for 33 miles....when I'm running late. Normally I'm sitting at 70 mph...and if I could lift up the ass end of the wagon by 100-300 lbs...then I'd prolly get 30 mpg. I was sitting at 28mpg....but I haven't done the plugs in the subaru for about 10,000 miles...now I'm down to 24mpg. When I had the 17's on the car...I was at 19mpg, and now with the 15" Watanabe RS-8's, and the UHP tires, it jumped up to 28.

tell me how those are 90% tested an wrong...when I do my own tests every night for 60-80 miles.

what is the OD of the tires on the 17s vs the 15s
it is VERY likely that your milrage ratings are off

The wheel weights on the Scion made a difference, but when sue's route to work changed (Fewer stops) the heavier wheels brought the mpg right back up.

Cornering may also take a toll on your fuel use. newer cars have an electric power steering rack, and thus also bridges the gap between city and highway driving.

My daily commute hinges upon riding a bike. i pay $125 a month to park (With a car) so I can drive a 1938 rat rod to work and still be within budget (If I don't park it on the property). By this means, my mileage isn't read accurately since moving into my new house (Which is too much gas for you to come and visit)

I am driving a jeep this week to and from work, and find that both time and distances are a concern, I can get an extra day of driving out of the jeep if I merely choose a different route. The civic never gave me that sort of choice.

I pay $8 a day to drive this damned Jeep.

yes the OD is off, but thats calculated into the mix.

first the stock set was 14x6, with 185/70/14's...
then the rota battles were 17x8, with 235/45/17...
and now the Watanabe 15x6.5 with 195/50/15's...

I always use this website to see the fit of tires...

Wheel / tire size calculator / comparer - RIMS-N-TIRES

my odometer is 8% off, but the commute and the gas receipts tell the difference. miles never change....but when I"m at 80 mph, I'm actually only doing about 72mph. But the money took out of my debit card for gas station receipts shows proof for my logic.

then how come you never gave me your address, or blindfolded me and took me to your lair?.

Passive-aggressive behavior refers to passive, sometimes obstructionist resistance to following authoritative instructions in interpersonal or occupational situations. It can manifest itself as resentment, stubbornness, procrastination, sullenness, or repeated failure to accomplish requested tasks for which one is assumed, often explicitly, to be responsible. It is a defense mechanism and, more often than not, only partly conscious. For example, people who are passive-aggressive might take so long to get ready for a party they do not wish to attend, that the party is nearly over by the time they arrive. Alternatively, leaving notes to avoid face-to-face discussion/confrontation, is another form of passive-aggressive behavior.

:rolleyes:

My mom: "Steven, what's the problem?"
me: "nothing, nothing I want to talk about"
Mom: "Fine, I just don't deserve to know. That's ok."

me: "You never visited me, not even once"
clayton: "That's because you never told me where you live"

someone : "What's the matter?"
me: "I'm angry"
"What are you angry about?"
"something that you did, I don't want to talk about it now"
"Well EXCUSE ME! Fine, I won't fucking ask anymore."

Those are passive aggressive.

Or build the Walter's Engine Setup that we played around with and get 75 MPG. That car should get studied, and worked on some more to find out why it did what it did.

My car still gets about 40-44 mpg...I haven't done a damn thing to it other than change the distributor, tranny, clutch, and flywheel...

When I was on business in Salt Lake, I would travel back to Reno every weekend, and I would put about $60 worth of gas round trip...that's 538 miles each way...Overall it was about 52 mpg...Granted it was all highway driving, but I was getting paid .44 a mile to drive. So I pocketed a bunch of money...

simple answer is to drive like an adult not a teen with your first car, gas prices suck but welcome to what the rest of the worlds been paying for years . i am an american living in asia and gas has been close to 4 bucks or higher since i moved here , tune your car and drive it properly

for least drag, you want NO wing.

any wing creating lift or downforce (which doesnt really matter. its the same thing just a different direction) will have induced drag. and the slower you are going the more induced drag you have. and at the speeds cars move, the induced drag is pretty significant.

Back