Gasket Help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

P7ank5te7

Hey, Just out of curiosity, what is everyone doing if they blow the gasket between the header and down pipe? I have the metal gasket and can't seem to find anything that matches. What makes it worse, its an e-gay header. One shop up here who deals with imports a lot said that they recommended just making the gasket but does anyone have any other suggestions or know what honda's came with factory metal gaskets and not donut like o-rings. Thanks -Gary

Its after market. Sadly its the flat gasket. I wish it were the donut gaskets because then I wouldn't have this problem. Plus 1500 miles of non-stop traveling didn't help the matter and poor gasket. -Gary

curious on how you blew that gasket.. have you tried torqueing it down again..

Errr.. Unsure how exactly it blew, but I wouldn't doubt that it wasn't torqued down right. But I left the exhaust shop who put it on for me, try to fix it and all they did was ruin the gasket and used high temp rtv on it and on my way back to Jersey, it started leaking again half way. So its really not going to help re-torque a wiped out gasket, but thanks for that thought. -Gary

try and contact the person you bought the header from.. and ask if they have a spare gasket laying around

Yeah. Thats what I've been told, only problem is, I have to go home on Thursday and I'm 500 miles from them so. :( I'm going to try the 2 honda dealerships up then if that doesn't work, I may have to try to make one or even worst use RTV on it again till I get back. Didn't some of the older CRX's and Preludes come with the flat gaskets? -Gary

get that copper spray shit that you can make head gaskets with. that will probaby work

Do you have jack stands? Do you have a set of sockets and a torque wrench? Or at least do you know where you can borrow a torque wrench? If so, then just go to NAPA or Autozone, get a new gasket, and put it in. Most places like Autozone or Advance will have a torque wrench you can borrow if you need it.

I've got access to all stuff. I've gone to all the part stores and NOT ONE of them carried it. I even searched the gaskets that they had my self. Thats why I am questioning this. I even stopped at the little race shop thats down around the corner, and they couldn't find one or get it. So, kind of make sense why this question came up? And just so you know, I don't mean to sound in any way mean when I said that so. But thanks for the thought bro -Gary

Are you positive that the factory gasket was a flat one? I ordered a header from Megan Racing for my Integra, and installed it myself. They sent me a flat gasket with the header but when I actually got under the car and started taking stuff apart I noticed the OEM downpipe has a thick, ring-shaped gasket and not the flat one.

Here's a parts diagram for your car:

https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/images/hp_parts/13SR80.002.4.gif

It's part number 22. Click on it and you can zoom in. It sure looks like a thick round gasket to me.

I could very well be wrong about this, but I just thought I'd point that out. From my experience with aftermarket headers it seems like a lot of these companies will send you a flat gasket when you really need the thick one.

Last edited:
Wait... there is supposed to be a gasket between the header and catalytic converter? They sent me a flat one, and after talking with the guys at autozone, they said there wasn't one. When I took the manifold off, I didn't see one either.

There was on my car, which has a B18. There's usually some kind of gasket that goes on the collector. On most of the Hondas I've seen it usually comes with a thick, donut-shaped gasket from the factory. A lot of times they will send you a flat gasket with an after market header and I really don't understand why. Hondas have the bolts with the springs to connect the cat to the downpipe, and those are only meant to be tightened so far. The thick gasket prevents the flange on the downpipe and the flange on the cat from actually touching each other. There should be a little bit of space in between them.

Maybe it's different on your car and the flanges are actually supposed to touch each other with a flat gasket in between, but on my car and on the Honda header installs I've seen in magazines they always use that thick gasket.

Honda Automotive Parts

It's part number 20 on the diagram.

I had trouble finding a donut gasket (the round gasket between the collector and cat) for my car too. I ended up going to autozone and I had them go through the donut gaskets they had for other applications. a donut gasket for a 94-03 blazer/s10 4.3 v6 worked like a charm on my stock gsr header.

Ya there is a donut gasket between the down pipe and the cat. The gasket I'm going to have to make is between my upper half of the header and the down pipe. It would replace the 2 parts, "10", in the picture with a flat fitted gasket. It's a 2 piece 4-2-1 header. So I hit up a local shop here and got a sheet of exhaust gasket material and going to send my uncle to his old boss to do me the favor of cutting me a couple of them, since its a race shop. I'll let you all know how it turns out. -Gary

Ya there is a donut gasket between the down pipe and the cat. The gasket I'm going to have to make is between my upper half of the header and the down pipe. It would replace the 2 parts, "10", in the picture with a flat fitted gasket. It's a 2 piece 4-2-1 header. So I hit up a local shop here and got a sheet of exhaust gasket material and going to send my uncle to his old boss to do me the favor of cutting me a couple of them, since its a race shop. I'll let you all know how it turns out. -Gary

Ohhhhh....I was thinking you meant the gasket between the cat and the downpipe. Yeah, never mind all the stuff I said and the diagrams, lol...

Hahaha.. Its all good.. Well, I had to make the gasket from stuff this one parts store had, its made just for exhaust but looks like cardboard but has metal mesh in there. It seems to be working and I pray that I can make it from Jersey back to my house in VA with out it going. I have to re-torque the bolts to 40 ft/lbs because I thought it was supposed to be 25 ft/lbs and I found in the manual that its 40. Is that the torque I should be using? -Gary

ah. well it's all good in the hood. I can hear a bit of an exhaust leak when I get on it right now.

But once I get my exhaust I'm going to be redoing everything anyway... so I'll be ordering the bolts and that gasket.

Yea. I was wondering what the recommended spec is on the torque for the bolts since my header, being given to me and being an e-gay special, how tight should I torque them? -Gary

Back