Gasoline Choices

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YBLEGAL

Regular Member w/ Cheese
I would normally go for BP gas, but the other day my buddy and I were talking about how they put ethanol in their mix. And he was saying how ethanol deteriorates aluminum. For one, does anyone think this is happening or not? Second, considering other brands, I'd like to keep getting 93oc or higher on a daily basis. I was considering Shell gas too but haven't got much research on the subject done yet.

What gasoline brands do any of you recommend for quality of gas and generally the same prices?

I go with a Shell station right before I get on the Parkway before I head to work. They have that new nitrogen shit that my car seems to like, and the Exxon and Delta across the street keep the prices reasonable.

BP/Arco gives me less MPG than Shell or Mobil/Exxon. Chevron isn't too bad but my BMW seems to like Shell's new Nitrogen stuff, especially because it takes Premium fuel so it gets the V-Power. My Mazda seems to get the best MPG's from Shell and Chevron.

I put whatever is the cheapest in my EG. :D The hatch I always fill up at a small Penzoil station, they have different pumps so you dont get peoples 89 that is still in the line, and they dont have the ethanol stickers on the pumps, so I like to think they dont dilute it. :D

i get shell 93.but i think all gas has ethanol.

M = 93 mobil/exxon.
Ti = 87 mobil/exxon
truck = cheapest shit i can find, usually grocery store gas with the card savings.

wtf?!?

in the pickup i use anything but ARCO/ampm .. 87 oct
in the GSR anything but ARCO.. 91 oct (our premium :( )

Last edited:
Chevron if you have them in the area. Great fuel, has techron in it.. Burns nice and clean. I always use chevron and have never had problems with it. Taking apart a few of my motors has revealed some of the cleanest valves and combustion chambers I've ever seen.

Wow thanks for the feedback! I don't have any Chevrons around here unfortunately. Guess Shell seems best. The last 2 fillups I've used shell and it runs smooth. I never bother calculating my milage but I really should.

Last question. So what about ethanol? Bad for aluminum?

the amount thats in gasoline has no effect

Alrighty. I take your word for it. It feels better knowing rather than hoping that isn't shorting the engine's life.

CA has been using ethanol for a long time.. none of my engines have ever suffered from deterioration.. other than me beating the hell out of them.. lol

Ya i believe most gas stations have ethanol in in them. I use only Shell gas, and always VPower. If you read on the pumps there it clearly says : Regular may contain up to 10% Ethanol, Mid-Grade may contain up to 5% Ethanol and Vpower contains no Ethanol.

I put whatever in my Fit, it'll run on 87, but it runs more smoothly on 89. If I'm at a gas station that the gas smells like it has more sulfur in it, I go for the higher octane. I haven't tried anything higher than 93 in it, even though my gut tells me to put 93 in a 10.8:1 engine all the time......

In my 99 Civic, 90+ or else I'm afraid I'll blow something up. I put regular in it once, and I had to back down the tune because I thought the engine was going to blow up. Probably because I tuned it right to the edge on 90 octane.

Whenever I can, I try to go to the Texaco in town, because their gas doesn't reak of sulfur, and the car seems to like it.

In most states, they put more than 10% ethanol in each gallon of gas. In germany, they started doing it at the beginning of last year, and I noticed a huge difference in the engine's sound afterwards. I hate the shit. It makes my food cost more, and my car doesn't like it. :(

If I'm away from my home-area, I try to go to the gas station with the most people at it, best lit, and cleanest area.

Back