Gasoline Choices

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Inevitably I'll be heading to the drag strip soon. All kinds of high octane there. What's the highest octane I should be running without tuning my stock B16? It's 10.4:1 if it matters. Would changing to a different heat range spark plug change that optimum octane level any?

Thanks again

Just run pump/mid grade. Only reason to run higher octane is to help control detonation. If your car is tuned to run higher octane; then that's the only reason to run it.

So, what does everyone think about my fit? When I run low-octane fuel it stumbles at idle, engine hot or cold.

I'm going to put some mid-grade in it today, and see if it improves.

Chevron if you have them in the area. Great fuel, has techron in it.. Burns nice and clean. I always use chevron and have never had problems with it. Taking apart a few of my motors has revealed some of the cleanest valves and combustion chambers I've ever seen.

Werd. Same here. I run 89 in my truck and last time I took the motor apart it looked like it only had a few minutes of run time. I run 91 in the Camaro, and when I seafoamed it through the intake I hardley got any exhaust smoke at all.

i was under the impression that gasoline blends vary region to region and season to season. so each market may have different results. and yes california sucks because 91 is our super premium ultra rasengan octane you can get at the local stations (ive heard of 93 but never seen it).

anyway, i agree with chevron. i seem to get more mpg there than any other stations. figured more mpg = more efficiency = cleaner?

Back