Gauge cluster swap - Switching Speedo (Pics)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

daveholiday

Do work
I don't know how many were using this, but when I found out that you could swap speedometer's from one gauge cluster to another, I found no write ups, just explanations and a lot of people not comprehending what was being described. 97 Auto Cluster into a 00 DX, MT. The auto cluster was the only one I could find at the junk yard, and everything works, and for $15, can't really beat it. I did however, take pictures after the switch.

Once you have the cluster out, start looking all around for the black clips holding the part under the clear plastic to the actual cluster. I got a small flat head, started on one side, pressed the tab with my finger and slowly pried it apart. Obviously don't break any of the clips. On the bottom, you will need to release the clear plastic clips as well.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Once you have the clear plastic face off,remove the black plastic trim, then turn it over and look for the 4 screws in the middle. Remove these, do not lose them.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

After you take the screws out, your speedo will just fall right out. Reinstallation is the exact opposite of the above guide.
attachment.php

If you want, you can also take out the thin plastic light diffuser on top of the cluster, once it's all back together but before you put it in the car, it will make your cluster brighter. God the idea from Andrew and his 88-91Civic/CRX writeup of the same thing.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I hope this helped, somebody out there.

Attachments

• IMAG0104.jpg
    IMAG0104.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 3,067
  • IMAG0105.jpg
    IMAG0105.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 2,742
  • IMAG0106.jpg
    IMAG0106.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 2,699
  • IMAG0107.jpg
    IMAG0107.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 2,603
  • IMAG0108.jpg
    IMAG0108.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 2,728
  • IMAG0110.jpg
    IMAG0110.jpg
    1,005.5 KB · Views: 328
  • IMAG0111.jpg
    IMAG0111.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 3,118
  • IMAG0112.jpg
    IMAG0112.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 2,606
  • IMAG0102.jpg
    IMAG0102.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 2,585
  • IMAG0109.jpg
    IMAG0109.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 2,587
Last edited:
pay attention.

his old cluster had no tachometer, so he bought a cluster that DID have one. swapped his speedometer gauge in to keep his mileage.

i did this to my 92 DX using an EX cluster back in 2002. no new news here...

why did i never think to do that? i always just swapped out the cluster and said fuck it about the mileage.. lol

Lol, like I said, I wasn't originally aware that you could swap speedo's, and when I looked I found a lot of confused people. And yes, I swapped clusters because I wanted a factory tach.

Oh good idea, I've wanted to swap mine forever so I could have a tach. I've wanted to keep my original miles though so I've never done it. Now I just might. Thanks for the write-up!

Back