Gave the Laptop a Tuneup & Oilchange.. lol..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ScrapinSi

So my laptop has been acting very sluggish lately, overheating at times, and just seems slow and cluttered... So yesterday was a slow day, so I figured I'd go through it, and clean out the junk...

First the specs..
P4 3.6ghz HT
1gb SDRAM
100gb HD
17" Widescreen

First off... 15gb free... wtf? I KNOW I don't have that much crap... So I search the HD, delete some DVD's and stuff... but nothing major... Start going directory by directory... Oooohhh... SQL DB Backups... There's 10gb... Delete.

Thats weird... SQL Directories are still 35gb... Hmm... Wonder why... Open the manager... Damn Historical Data!! Shrink DB's... DIR Size now 400mb. LOL.

That and a defrag made it run smoother, but it was still kinda slow, like the processor is in limp mode.... So I grab the airhose and blow out the vents and fans... HOLY CRAP THAT WAS ALOT OF DUST!! I work in dusty/dirty environments alot, and the fans on this thing are always going. That was more dust than I have EVER seen come out of a PC... Not just a laptop... A PC...

Thing runs like a raped ape now! One of the 3 fans runs, and the 2nd barely kicks on now, even when watching a DVD! And I now have 65gb of free space. :)

Moral of the story... Clean your laptop every now and then... lol. :ph34r:

you are right noah. when i swapped up to the core2 i couldnt BELIEVE the amount of shit covering my fan and the acer is only a year old. it doesnt burn your legs anymore - but that could also be the core 2's less strenuous processing capabilities.

Mine is only 6-8 months old! And I couldn't keep it on my lap for more than 30 minutes without it burning my legs!

I'll bet my battery will last longer now too...

Back