Ignition problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

I posted awhile back about my car not starting after clutch fix; well I had swapped in my D15B VTEC distributor, and it ran fine(idle was around 1000-1500)rpm though. I ordered a distributor off of ebay(used TD59U, stock was TD31U), that was an external coil but the guy just put a internal coil cap on it(so i had no coil).

anyways I installed my old D15B VTEC coil in there(it was replaced by a Blaster 2 coil), and gave it a try. Doesn't work. I try swapping out the spark plug wires for my D15B2 ones, and works(idles 800rpm), but makes a backfire noise from the intake( I also noticed strong exhaust pressure from the tailpipe even though it was idling around 800rpm); I think I had installed the wires wrong(I think I did 1-2-4-3 instead of 1-3-4-2). Changed the firing order, no start(but it tries; it fires every now and then).

Swap D15B distributor back in, works great.

TD59 back in, same issue, swap old wires back in, same issue. WTF!!!

The D15B distributor works awesome(has msd d16a6 wires, msd extreme cap, msd rynite rotor, and msd blaster 2 coil), but the bolt holes dont line up so i had zip ties and a clamp holding it still. Any body know the problem?? Ignition control module maybe???

Back