gear grinding in a stock EJ hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reikoshea

HS Troll...And Mod
VIP
I drove my buddies EJ today, and i heard a slight grind when i pushed it (HAHAH :laugh:) through second and third.

From first to second and second to third i hear a sound in the tranny that sounds like a grind, and i think it might be the syncros. If i wait a second to put it into gear it doesnt grind, but if i drag shift, it will grind. I am making sure that the clutch is on the ground, and its not helping. anyone have any ideas besides the syncros. and if you think that is it, how much will it cost to be rebuilt?

when we bought the car it just had a fluid change...they used 10w-30...ive always used that with my tranny fluid changes and ive never had a problem...but that is on GM trannies...i havent needed to change the honda yet.

Damn this should be a sticky...

Use nothing but Honda MTF from a Honda Dealership. Mine used to do it all the time when i shifted from 2nd to 3rd and after I used Honda MTF it has not done it once.

THe problem is probably a bad synchro sleeve, and not a bad synchronizer ring.

Synchro sleeves can only be purchased in sets that include the sleeve and synchros 1/2 sleeve set will include 1st and 2nd synchro rings as well as the sleeve. It cost around 230$ You will also need 3/4 synchro sleeve set which includes 3rd and 4th gear synchro rings and corresponding sleeve and should cost aroung 230$ also. So 460$ plus any bearings that are bad, plus any seals that are leaking, plus labor.

Back