gear lube?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chopluey

Recently, after putting a new "Clutchmasters Stage 1" clutch in my '92Civic, I went to my trusty manual to reference the correct amount of gear lube(hypoid oil) to add to my transmission. I was surprised when it specified "engine oil" for transmission lubrication as opposed to gear lube! Does anyone out there use gear lube for their manual trannies? Is the engine oil an adequate manual transmission lube for moderately aggressive driving? Would hypoid oil be a better choice?
For now, I went with the factory recommendation, and put engine oil in there. Haven't had any problems. Just wondered if gear lube might be a better choice.
By the way, the new clutch from "Clutchmasters" is a major improvement! The car has much better acceleration and pedal pressure isn't much different from stock.

Originally posted by chopluey@Sep 21 2003, 11:16 PM
Recently, after putting a new "Clutchmasters Stage 1" clutch in my '92Civic, I went to my trusty manual to reference the correct amount of gear lube(hypoid oil) to add to my transmission. I was surprised when it specified "engine oil" for transmission lubrication as opposed to gear lube! Does anyone out there use gear lube for their manual trannies? Is the engine oil an adequate manual transmission lube for moderately aggressive driving? Would hypoid oil be a better choice?
For now, I went with the factory recommendation, and put engine oil in there. Haven't had any problems. Just wondered if gear lube might be a better choice.
By the way, the new clutch from "Clutchmasters" is a major improvement! The car has much better acceleration and pedal pressure isn't much different from stock.

You can go to the Honda dealer and buy their MTF for $6.00 a quart, or for the same price run Synchromax from Royal Purple. It is a far superior Synthetic MTF.
Royal Purple
Where to get it. :thumbsup:

I used motor oil, seems fine, but I am going to go with the MTF here pretty soon when I change the fluids.

go to the honda dealer, and get MTF from them. it is the only shit that is going to work the best. screw that "Synchromax from Royal Purple. It is a far superior Synthetic MTF." That shit will wear out before the honda shit does.

DArin

Originally posted by darwins_vtech@Sep 22 2003, 08:33 AM
go to the honda dealer, and get MTF from them. it is the only shit that is going to work the best. screw that "Synchromax from Royal Purple. It is a far superior Synthetic MTF." That shit will wear out before the honda shit does.

DArin

That is a pretty bold statement without anything to back it up.

When i autocrossed my civic, the MTF felt alot better than anything else i used.. mobil1 fluid, synchrmax, and redline...

Back