1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gear lube?

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by chopluey, Sep 22, 2003.

1. chopluey

chopluey Member

Recently, after putting a new "Clutchmasters Stage 1" clutch in my '92Civic, I went to my trusty manual to reference the correct amount of gear lube(hypoid oil) to add to my transmission. I was surprised when it specified "engine oil" for transmission lubrication as opposed to gear lube! Does anyone out there use gear lube for their manual trannies? Is the engine oil an adequate manual transmission lube for moderately aggressive driving? Would hypoid oil be a better choice?
    For now, I went with the factory recommendation, and put engine oil in there. Haven't had any problems. Just wondered if gear lube might be a better choice.
    By the way, the new clutch from "Clutchmasters" is a major improvement! The car has much better acceleration and pedal pressure isn't much different from stock.

2. Jim Truett

Jim Truett Senior Member

You can go to the Honda dealer and buy their MTF for $6.00 a quart, or for the same price run Synchromax from Royal Purple. It is a far superior Synthetic MTF.
    Royal Purple
    Where to get it. :thumbsup:

3. 97CTR

97CTR Senior Member

yeah just go to your honda dealer

4. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

I used motor oil, seems fine, but I am going to go with the MTF here pretty soon when I change the fluids.

5. darwins_vtech

darwins_vtech Senior Member

go to the honda dealer, and get MTF from them. it is the only shit that is going to work the best. screw that "Synchromax from Royal Purple. It is a far superior Synthetic MTF." That shit will wear out before the honda shit does.

DArin

6. Jim Truett

Jim Truett Senior Member

That is a pretty bold statement without anything to back it up.

7. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

When i autocrossed my civic, the MTF felt alot better than anything else i used.. mobil1 fluid, synchrmax, and redline...

8. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

im using TrickShift automatic transmission fluid...

is that bad? lol

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted