Geez, same engine in new Si

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

first off, 02 Civic Si, you're comparing apples and ornages. Two words for you: "you have a dohc-160hp motor and you're comparing it to a sohc-125 hp motor and your car is ugly." :p
Let me set the record straight, I don't own a 02-03 SI. I'm not sure who mentioned this earlier but I think the new SI would be a whole lot quicker if the gearing was different. I've witnessed first-hand what a few basic bolt-ons can do for that K20A3. My buddy put on a CAI, stainless steel headers, a midpipe and that car picks up and goes up until around 70-80mph. It doesn't have much pull on the freeway like the 99-00 SI did but the low end torque is great and that's one part of the new SI a lot of people are not addressing. I praise Honda for addressing the issue regarding the torque with the B series motors and coming out with this new lineup but on the other hand I wish they would have better packaged the motor and tranny for the SI.
I've been brainstorming with my friend about what he can do to get the performance he wants and, I think most people would agree with me, the rsx type s is the best way to go.
The bottom line is that the new SI is a fun car to driver around town but when it comes down to series performance and looks, the SI couldn't make the cut. Sorry guys!!! B)

ok first off when i think of an Si i think of the 99-00 coupe . . . but my favorite Si is the 92-95 . . . at first i hated the new Si hatch. the macpherson strut design turned me away from liking any of the civics made as of 01. After driving the 02 Si i thought it was slow too, but aren't all stock hondas slow? the steering, the seats, and the shifter held my interest. the technology behind I-VTEC is amazing but i think it will make tuning alot different. Not really easier or harder just different. For instance . . . no more adjustable cam gears, you may see an ECTC out on the market though (Electronic Cam Timing Controller) . . . and as far as the 02 Si being slow . . .i does feel slower than the 00 Si but i think its about the same. The 99-00 Si isn't really that fast either . . . my friend who currently owns a 00 Si had an old 86 CRX Si with over 150,000 miles on it. and we ran into some kids at a gas station with a 99 or 00 Si who wanted to race. The little CRX won 4 for 4 . .. lol . .. i couldn't believe it! and i was in the passebger seat.

I agree that 02 SI body style is ugly I am not going to deny that, but I bought because I liked the inside way too much, that shifter is sweet. Secondly, the new Buddy Club III kit for the SI makes it look ten times better. I just put a deposit on mine and it should come in, in about a month, it is currently on the boat from Japan, my point with that is you can get any car to look better, not good, but better. Whoever said the the gearing could be different to make it faster is crazy, because the gears are already pretty low, they could get lower, but the SI isn't a WRX (0-60 in 5.4 w/ 225 hp) it is just trying to compete with the Turbo VW's and SVT Fuckus. The 99-00 are about the same I totally agree I have raced three with the same mods as me, and beat all by a half car length. Now, I am still going to swap the engine of my 02 SI with a type-S, because I want more power, but the SI is not nearly bad as people say it is.

i agree with you on the styling, the new si's actually grew on me, i did'nt like it at first. but it's okay to me now. as for speed, i don't mean to bag on your driving style. but i'm pretty sure if you put the 99 si against your si, the 99 should win, it's pretty much all on the driver. the people you raced probably didnt know how to driver their shit. the type-s swap is going to cost an arm and a leg and also considering you have to get a code from acura so you can have the car working after you swap it in. some kind of code thingy that i've heard about, sorry cant think off the top of my head, been long day at work, peace!

Is there a link that you could show me about the swap, I haven't heard of this yet, but as for buying the engine I was just going to call around every week and see if anybody had a totalled RSX-s and just take out the engine for about 1,000.

ekPhred is absolutely correct. There is a code that you need to obtain from a Acura dealer because the keys are now electronically coded for the Si and RSX so the ECU and the ignition will not work together if you do the type S swap unless the code is obtained.
The entire swap is roughly $4500-5000 depending on where you get it from. I know my friend has been shopping around and he got a couple of quotes for like $4500.

that's what i thought, i knew there was some kind of code in the keys, thanx for clearing that up rsaeini! it was just late in the work day and i could'nt think of shit, hehehe

peace..

type r cams, type r valvetrain, quaife, higher compression pistons.

remember its a 2.0 liter motor, don't you think people will be getting power from this setup?

and remember, the k24 bottom end will soon be available, imagine 2.4 liter crvtec's...

300whp is well within reach, all motor, and its just a matter of time before we see a few on honda-tech and hopefully this site as well.

k24 = crv non-vtec..

k20 type s or type r head on a k24 crv block = 2.4 cr/vtec y0

I love the new shifter placement, and it is nice how roomy the new Si is, but I was beating my friend in his with my 89 CRX si, which only had an exhaust. I've driven his, but it didn't have that balls out performance that I expected from it, but it was a very comfortable car to drive. I want to feel that thing when he hits the N2O he has installed recently, a nice little 70 shot :blink:

Back