Gen 1 b16. quick question(s)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Andrew

B16a1(SiR 1) into my 1991 Crx Si.
I just need to make sure I have it right before I do the swap.

Choose one or all to answer, it's like a game! :p

1. Since it's an OBD-0 engine(Gen 1/SiR 1... whateva), I won't need to convert my harness over to OBD-1 will I?
2. In the swap, I'll need to make sure I have appropriate Axles, B-series mount kit, stock jdm ECU, shift linkage... is that all? is that right?
3. Will a Short ram intake designed for a stock crx/civic fit with the b16?
4. Will any aftermarket header designed for a B16 work in my rex?

Thats all I can think of for now.
Thanks for putting up with people/posts like me/this...

-Andrew

Quoted post[/post]]
B16a1(SiR 1) into my 1991 Crx Si.
I just need to make sure I have it right before I do the swap.

Choose one or all to answer, it's like a game! :p

1. Since it's an OBD-0 engine(Gen 1/SiR 1... whateva), I won't need to convert my harness over to OBD-1 will I?
2. In the swap, I'll need to make sure I have appropriate Axles, B-series mount kit, stock jdm ECU, shift linkage... is that all? is that right?
3. Will a Short ram intake designed for a stock crx/civic fit with the b16?
4. Will any aftermarket header designed for a B16 work in my rex?

Thats all I can think of for now.
Thanks for putting up with people/posts like me/this...

-Andrew
1. You don't need to go to OBD0. You are going to use your CRX Harness, not the B16 Harness.

2. You are correct but make sure your ECU is a PR3 or PW0 and make sure that you get SiR Linkage (or you can buy the HaSport unit) 90-93 Integra XSi Linkage will not work unless you cut and weld it. The SiR Linkage is the best way to go IMO.

3.Yes. If you wanna spend money, AEM has Hybrid Short Ram and Cold Air Intakes for cars with swaps.

4.No. Not any B16 Header will work if you use a stock ECU because the stock ECU will look for a 2nd o2, most of the after-market headers for sale are for the B16a2 and a3 which only have one spot for an o2 on the downpipe. OBD0 is weird tho, I had a stock PR3 that didn't look for a 2nd o2 for some weird reason and let me get away with using only one. All the other ones i've came in contact with looked for the 2nd o2. HaSport sells the perfect header for our B16 swapped EF's... http://hasport.com/Products/Headers.htm or you can get a chipped ECU that won't look for the o2 but I advise highly against that. Oh, and no you cannot just splice the wires for both o2's on to one o2...here's why... http://hondata.com/techclosed.html

GREAT. Thats Exactly what I needed to know!!

It looks like I'd be spending Right at $1000 or more at Hasport for the mounts, linkage, and the header... Then if I was to add in the $400 axles..... *gargle*......

It is worth it right?

as for the axles, just get some stock 90-93 integra axles (NON ABS!). they are like $140 or $70 w/core at auto parts stores. they usually come with a lifetime warranty too.

Yep, thats all you need. You only need the teg steering nuckles if you're like me and started with an HF or STD model car, you have an Si so the axle spline count is just fine, don't worry about it. If you get the hasport shift linkage, it'll be gauranteed to fit, I'm not so sure about the one that comes with the engine. I just got the hasport one, works great. Don't worry, since your car is MPFI, the swap will be pretty easy. I did it two years ago with a buddy in my garage and it only took a few days.

Thats GREAT news Citizen Insane. Thanks.

This is my first import swap, so I'm pretty excited.
I'm pretty happy to hear that it Si's are a little easier for this swap.

Would everyone agree that $2260 is a good price shipped from HMO.com for the complete swap including Hasport mounts, Hasport shift linkage, and LSD?($1960 w/o LSD)
I'm still kinda debating on the LSD part. I think it will be worth it... right?

Thanks a TON fellas!!!! This is so helpful!
-Andrew

Think thats a good price?

Also, I'll be searching around, but how many wires total need to be added into my ECU for the VTEC stuff?(what all is it? the selenoid?)

Yep, thats what I payed. HMO is the best engine dealer in the states and their prices are good. The LSD is definatly worth it. To upgrade later will cost you $700+. No matter what you plan on doing (drag, autox, street), the LSD will definatly improve traction and make for a better driving experience.

Awsome. Thanks Citizen.!

If they can't/won't install the LSD, how hard is it for me to do it myself?
Is there a write-up on it anywhere?

Thanks!!
-Andrew

Back