1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General b18b build with turbo question.

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by a_integra_87, Oct 28, 2005.

1. a_integra_87

a_integra_87 Member

Sorry if its been asked a billion times, but its the first time im asking [​IMG] .

Anyway i just bought a JDM b18b (obd2) for a motor swap with GSR tranny into a 97 civic cx. The motor im sure dosent NEED a rebuild. But i plan to go turbo, so think its somewhat benifical to replace it now while its out of the car then have to pull it in a year, or install the motor and find it has crap compression to begin with. Think this is a good idea? Im not sure the turbo or Engine managment system yet, but aiming for a daily driver (not in rain or winter of course) with at LEAST 250hp, since rebuild possibly in the 260+whp range. I was informed on HAN that after about 250whp with a good tune and fuel system you might want to get some better internals. Now do you think this is practical though? A daily driver whit that power? Still would like to get around 20mpg if at all possible (probably not though huh?)

I started working co-op at a local garage and my boss and co-workers informed me that on weekends they would love to help me build my motor. Installiation is free and so is the knowledge :mrgreen: . Boring is $160, or $80 his price, and parts probably regular cost unless i go through him.

Now what rods should i look for? Pistons? How about the valve train or cams, should i upgrade? Headgasket? Just OEM thickness or some aftermarket thing?
  2. hotrex

hotrex Senior Member

heres the deal. you can make 250-275 all day reliabley on a b18b.

heres the prob. those heads flow like shit. if you want any kind of hp. you need to ls/vtec that thing. there is no point in putting work into a ls head, cam wise stuff, just use that money to buy a vtec head.

i would do that before i did pistons and rods.

when you do pistons and rods, go with a set of eagle rods, and a set of 9:1 compression je/srp pistons.

if you are doing internals, you might as well fill the block, itll allow you to run 5ish extra lbs of boost. i have a write up about ho i did my block \in forced induction.
Draft saved Draft deleted