General catback question?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

n00b-racer07

Okay so,
with the catback exhaust systems, and specifically for a d16 motor.
Most of the headers I see are around the 2.25 OD range on the bottom and 2.0 ID.
If I were to purchase a catback with say, a 2.5 OD and try to bolt it onto the headers is this going to work, or am I out of luck. I'm asking because I want to by products from two different makers and am concerned about how they are going to bolt on togeather.
Will the gaskets take care of this problem at all assuming the bolts go togeather okay?
I would assume that if you purchased aftermarket pieces that they would all be, in a general sense, the same. excluding quality and such of different sellers.

with that,
any suggestions on ones that you know have worked without a hitch?
thanks,
the n00b :confused:

You do realize that the cat back exhaust does not include the converter, right? Your header will bolt to one end of the cat and the exhaust to the other. And as long as they are all aftermarket bolt on type pieces they should fit without a problem. However, if one piece in the chain is smaller it is going to be a bottleneck in the flow and cost you some power. Ideally you want to have the ID of the exhaust the same size from the collector on the header all the way through the rest of the exhaust.

most d16's cat is right on the exhaust manifold, so when you install headers the cat comes off, then just have a high flow ready to mate the header to the cat back

Yeah you're right I didn't realize what year we were talking about.. just read the post and replied. The converter is part of the exhaust manifold on those cars. So, to the OP, buy a cat that matches the piping of your header & exhaust and put it in with the rest of the system.

Back