General upgrade questions...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

n00b-racer07

Hi all once again!
I've been looking around to find a Honda and I've been getting into cars more and more as I move throughout the automotive world but I still have a lot to learn. A promising sale I'm looking at is for a Del Sol with the SOHC VTECH engine D16Z6 if I'm not mistaken, but please correct me if I'm wrong! lol.

I would like to get into modifying NA engines and tuning, no offense to turbo users and such but it's just not my thing, I can tell this much already after messing around in/with my friends saab. lol.

So I guess my general question is whether certain mods will reduce MPG and stuff.
I'm positive doing such things as adding after market intakes improves it, as does the intake mani, exhaust, and throttle body? although the last one I'm not sure.

But I figure if I'm going to get into tuning I should also look into replacing cams and gears/clutch etc. My biggest concern is reducing the MPG of the vehicle, I know this is kinda stupid as if I wanna get more HP I kinda need to give up some MPG but I would like to know as many things I can do without reducing it as this is going to be my DD. I've looked into reducing the weight and things as well with carbon fiber but I'm not looking to put full body kits on or anything,
would rather have a sleeper then a show car personally and I'm on a tight budget :p *go college!*

So if anyone could give me advice on tuning without reducing MPG too much that would be great!
and also if anyone has any idea what kinda HP increase I can look at by tuning cams/gears, intake, intake mani, exhaust/headers, throttle body, and anything else you can suggest that would be great too!
Oh, and I've only recently come across info about after market ignitions which I'm not too sure about if anyone can fill me in on that : /

And from what I have heard it would be best to have a garage do the cams and such, I am a noob after all and only know basics at this point. Is this a good suggestion?
I'm planning on making this my learning car so~

Thanks to anyone who can help!
I appreciate it!
-another n00b

i know this thread probably won't be too popular with the power-swappers, but i'm curious about the same thing, so i'm subscribing. I'd like to have more than 89hp or wtfe i have in my DX rex, but i'd like to keep the mpg in the 30+mpg range. so basically i'll sacrifice 10mpg for some power. someone tell us what swaps we should consider? :D

n00b, check out the links below, maybe they'll help - and thanks for asking something i was wondering too. :thumbsup:

Honda Engine List
Non-Recommended Swaps

Last edited:
If I remeber corectly on Honda-tech someone rebuilt a D16z6 basicly got it set up to handle Turbo but never did it. Had a New cam, crank shafts, pistons, pullys, fule system all that good stuff and layed some ok #'s down for being strait N/A.. someone correct me if im wrong...

heyhey

Alright thanks for the links and I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants to know this :D.
Hope someone has the answers!

anything requiring additional fuel is going to hurt gas mileage. Bolt-ons such as intake, header, and exhaust can actually help MPG. Any time you do something such as nitrous, forced induction, etc.. your engine is getting more air, hence, it needs more fuel.
To get an idea of mileage for a swap, my stock gsr in my hatch got 35 mpg highway. Running 8 psi its getting 30-32 highway.

power adders

if you are on a budget build there is only 5 things you need to buy to get what you need to gain anywhere for 20 to 30 horse power and not sacrifice mpg. First intake then header 4-2-1 prefered. Then Underdrive pulleys to reduce drag that helps me out and a gained 2 mpg just by doing that. Get rid of the CAT, cat harm your engine by causeing too much back presure a ebay cat will pass on inspection make sure it somewhat resembles a cat though not a test pipe. And make sure your exhaust is no bigger than 2" anything more than that and you lose all your bottem and and just don't put a muffler on your stock piping make sure you gat a mandrel bent tube 2" from the cat back to the muffler of your choice, i prefer a dual tip muffler becuase with those you avoid that "fart-can" sound it gives it a deeper tone

Are you fucking kidding me? There are so many things wrong with your post I'm not even going to bother.. just stop giving advice you obviously don't have a clue what you are talking about!

:newbie:

Back