Generic Auto Zone Intake: I like it so far

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Quoted post[/post]]
haha according to that my 160 hp 111 ft lbs torque b16 makes 150.1hp and 109.4 ft lbs to the wheels.

um... no.

Let's not believe everything we read. :thumbsup:

Apparently headers and exhaust add more whp than you're aware of. The catback alone is worth around 10 whp by itself. The headers around 5-7 depending. Wasn't pissedoff talking recently about his B16 with just an intake putting around 144 down? I would definitely believe then that it's very possible to make 157 whp with I/H/E.

I was reading the new issue of SCC or one of those crappy import mags, and they bolted on I/H/E to an otherwise stock B18C, and they got close to 30 hp from the 3 bolt ons. I know the B18C makes more hp stock than the B16, but as percentage differences, the numbers translate pretty well. If that makes any sense.

i was gonna ask the same thing. that IB intake still hasn't been released? WTF that was like a year ago. i had forgot all about it 'till the other day.

i guess IB made a few of these cause im not the only one that has one. a few people on h-t said they have one and from the pics ive seen there, they look exactly the same as what i have.

theres some pics on h-t. but one thing ive found was that some company called prototype racing made a product that was identical to this. im not sure if this is exactly the same thing or not, or if jeff tweaked the design at all. bust seaching the archives i see this intake from prototype racing all the way back to '03.

mike (cal), would you care to shed some insight to this?

Quoted post[/post]]
A tube is a tube, you can't really mess that up, but you CAN mess up a filter.

Nope. You CAN mess up a tube. There's a LOT more to building a good intake than just slapping a tube on the front of your manifold. Trust me. Tube length, width, bends, taper, material- it all matters.

Quoted post[/post]]
i have the "magic intake" :ph34r:

:mrgreen:

Quoted post[/post]]
i was gonna ask the same thing. that IB intake still hasn't been released? WTF that was like a year ago. i had forgot all about it 'till the other day.
Quoted post[/post]]
i guess IB made a few of these cause im not the only one that has one. a few people on h-t said they have one and from the pics ive seen there, they look exactly the same as what i have.

He does sell it- just doesn't advertise it. If you want one, let him know you want his "IB intake" and he'll sell one to you.

Quoted post[/post]]
mike (cal), would you care to shed some insight to this?

No clue on origins... because it's not a new or revolutionary idea. Jeff's implementation is just bigger than most, that's all. It's really just a monster velocity stack.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
A tube is a tube, you can't really mess that up, but you CAN mess up a filter.

Nope. You CAN mess up a tube. There's a LOT more to building a good intake than just slapping a tube on the front of your manifold. Trust me. Tube length, width, bends, taper, material- it all matters.

Maybe in terms of slight differences, very small percentage differences. But ultimately I've never seen dyno proof of this difference on a mildly modified or stock car. All intakes that I've seen dynoed on basically stock Civics with H/E already on them gain the same whp with any 3" intake. Within 1-2 hp. Now if the car is already making 250 whp without the intake, yeah any intake is gonna make higher gains, and maybe that .5% difference in flow will show up more at that level of power, but for most of us with mildly or barely modded civics, an intake is an intake. There's definitely something to be said for a CAI vs. a short ram in terms of the temperature of the air charge, but as far as the tube goes, it's all pretty much the same at this level. 5-7 whp is all you're gonna get.

You don't see much gain because none of the cheapo intakes have any engineering in them. The intakes that ARE making power are the ones you need to look for... and for what it's worth, just as much (if not more) of the cold air intakes' power gain in the midrange over a short ram has to do with pipe tuning, not charge air temperature. Just look at AEM's V2 intake- it uses acoustic tuning to bump the torque band at certain rev points. You'll see more than a few percentage point differences if you do real analysis and design of an intake system.

And no, even on a totally stock car- an intake is not just an intake.

Quoted post[/post]]
You don't see much gain because none of the cheapo intakes have any engineering in them. The intakes that ARE making power are the ones you need to look for... and for what it's worth, just as much (if not more) of the cold air intakes' power gain in the midrange over a short ram has to do with pipe tuning, not charge air temperature. Just look at AEM's V2 intake- it uses acoustic tuning to bump the torque band at certain rev points. You'll see more than a few percentage point differences if you do real analysis and design of an intake system.

And no, even on a totally stock car- an intake is not just an intake.

But the AEM original intake doesn't have anything other than a regular 3" tube, same as the generic ones. So I don't believe that 2 identical tubes will flow any differently. It's a physical impossibility. I mentioned the AEM V2 as being different in shape, either in this thread or another, and I acknowledge that to be claiming 20hp gains on a K20A there has to be something better about that odd shaped tube, but what I'm referring to is a regular straight 3" tube intake. If two tubes are the same inside diameter, the same length, and the same shape, then they have exactly the same flow characteristics. They're all the same, the only thing that can separate one from another is the quality of the cone filter. Thus a regular AEM short ram tube is no different than my generic one. There's no engineering that goes into a basically straight 3" tube. It just costs 4 times the price.

hes saying tube length plays a big factor in how much power you see and where you see the power. yes 2 identical tubes will be the same, but its unlikely that 2 companies (especially 1 being well known and doing tons of R&D, and the other being a cheap ebay knockoff) will produce 2 intakes that are exactly identical.

AEM didnt just take a 3" pipe, make it fit, slap a filter on the end then decide to sell it for 200+. no one would buy it if they did. im sure they look at all the variables (length, diameter, etc) and optimize them while still making it fit to the application.

Quoted post[/post]]
hes saying tube length plays a big factor in how much power you see and where you see the power. yes 2 identical tubes will be the same, but its unlikely that 2 companies (especially 1 being well known and doing tons of R&D, and the other being a cheap ebay knockoff) will produce 2 intakes that are exactly identical.

AEM didnt just take a 3" pipe, make it fit, slap a filter on the end then decide to sell it for 200+. no one would buy it if they did. im sure they look at all the variables (length, diameter, etc) and optimize them while still making it fit to the application.

They AEM short ram intakes are the same shape and length. Their cold air intakes are designed to fit the car, they don't do any "acoustical tuning" to determine anything. Its a tube. A 3" tube.

I can give you an example of what I'm saying by referring to Calesta's article on the Home page of the installation of a AEM Hybrid intake. Note the tube leaves the throttle body at roughly the same angle as any other short ram intake, such as the short ram he shows in the picture that he originally had on the car

aem_hybrid_cai_inst_med_01.jpg

This intake is the exact same shape, size, and has the same angle as my generic short ram intake. The intake he is replacing it with

aem_hybrid_cai_box_med_04.jpg

is also a 3" tube and leaves the throttle body at about the same angle as the short rams do

aem_hybrid_cai_inst_med_42.jpg

aem_hybrid_cai_inst_med_45.jpg

Compare that initial angle with the one on the short ram above, and you will see that they are the same.
So what then determines the rest of the length of the new Hybrid CAI? The location that the manufacturer wants to draw the "cold air" from.

In "engineering" the short ram, the manufacturer wants to draw air from the area above the fenderwell, hence when that initial section of identical 3" tubing comes out from the throttle body at basically the same angle as the AEM CAI, it continues just far enough along that same angle to place the filter at the end of the tube into that area above the fenderwell.

By contrast, the "engineers" at AEM want their CAI to draw colder air from the area just below the fenderwell. Thus what did they "engineer" into their CAI's shape? A downward bend that then curves to the left in order for the filter to draw air from the desired location below the fenderwell. Just like in real estate: Location, Location, Location. There is no "engineering" in the bends, people. The tube is bent...to fit the car, not "engineered for maximum performance."

If it were the shape that counted, then all AEM CAIs would be exactly the same shape and length, and you'd just have to chop up your car's frame and rearrange the engine compartment to accomodate it, other than just a simple mount replacement because the mount was in the way of the tube's final destination. That's why the shape of each intake is different for cars that don't have similar layouts under the hood. If the "engineering" line of thinking were true, then the CAI for a Ford Mustang would be the same as that for a Honda Civic. In fact they are just shaped so that they can draw air from the desired location, and bent to fit the car application. That 90 degree bend at the end of the CAI isn't a good thing. It's a consequence of having to draw air from that location, and it's compensated for by the long, somewhat straighter run to the throttle body bend.

I will acknowledge that the larger section in the upper section of the AEM V2 CAI does allow for a sort of "air supply reserve" to supplement the flow capacity of the intake beyond that of a normal 3" tube, thus giving the engine the potential to make more horsepower.

However, what I am referring to is intakes such as most of AEM's, that utilize 3" tubing throughout. The only thing that separates a 3" short ram from a 3" CAI, is where the air is drawn from and thus the temperature of the air, and the flow capabilities of the filter. That's it. There's no engineering, only accomodation. Don't get me wrong, AEM probably makes some products that have to be intricately modeled in order to extract the best power gain, but a 3" tube with 90 degree bends in it ain't IT.

Wan't proof? In the current issue of either HCi or Turbo, I can't remember which one (sorry), they dyno test a AEM CAI on a B18C1 with header and exhaust. The car gained 5.6whp. Password JDM's carbon fiber short ram intake makes peak gains of 6.5whp and 7.4 lbs/ft of torque. Note: the B18C1 makes about 170 whp stock and the head flows almost identically to the stock B16A tested with the Password intake, so the gains are fair to compare.

click

It's a short ram. Granted it's got a nice bulge in the middle giving it better reserve air capacity, but it's still a short ram. Now it could be argued that this intake would eventually possibly be drawing in warmer air than the CAI and thus wouldn't be putting as much horsepower to the wheels as it did on the dyno. But then we're back to the argument of air temperature. Still not research and development or engineering. The bottom line, and the whole point I'm trying to make, is that there is no "engineering" that goes into the AEM CAIs other than how to make the intake suck air from the fenderwell and still fit YOUR car.

Ultimately, there are no scientific formulas being applied in laboratories to come up with the shape of the 3" tubing. It's bent to get the fenderwell air to your intake manifold, and that's all there is to it. I'm not saying that my generic short ram intake is gonna put 5 to 6 hp to the wheels. Until I or someone else dyno's this thing against the factory intake setup, no one's gonna know other than a person driving a car with the setup, such as myself, who feels a noticeable difference in acceleration from 3k rpm to 6k rpm. However, there is no way to justify paying $250 for an intake that the same (or better in the case of the Password CF intake) can be had for a lot less money. AEM sells intakes for $200 to $300 because they they can!. They have the brand name recognition to get away with it. AEM does make a quality intake, but you don't have to pay the AEM price to get the same level of performance.

Somebody shoot me please. Jesus how big is this frigging post? :confused:

the AEM does have engineering. you misinterpreted what i said. yes they make it fit the application, but they still do "tuning" on bends, tube length and whatnot. they do have some room to make slight adjustments in those areas. as i said, they optimize performance WHILE STILL MAKING IT FIT. fitting the application is #1. i mean if you look at most aem intakes, they arent even 3". most non-hybrid intakes are 2.5", at least the early ones were. and they were still making more power. im sure they had a reason to go with 2.5" over 3", and from what ive seen, that reason was velocity. same thing with the v2's the design has a purpose, its not just made to fit then thats that. to say they dont do any r&d is just a fasle statement.

Quoted post[/post]]
the AEM does have engineering. you misinterpreted what i said. yes they make it fit the application, but they still do "tuning" on bends, tube length and whatnot. they do have some room to make slight adjustments in those areas. as i said, they optimize performance WHILE STILL MAKING IT FIT. fitting the application is #1. i mean if you look at most aem intakes, they arent even 3". most non-hybrid intakes are 2.5", at least the early ones were. and they were still making more power. im sure they had a reason to go with 2.5" over 3", and from what ive seen, that reason was velocity. same thing with the v2's the design has a purpose, its not just made to fit then thats that. to say they dont do any r&d is just a fasle statement.

I didn't mean they did none at all. But I do not believe that their intakes are any better than anyone else's in terms of the power gains they make. Especially for the price.

I keep procrastinating going to a shop that has a dyno and doing a comparo on this so I could see exactly how much hp my generic intake makes over the stock box. One of these days. :)

By the way... the "bulges" and larger sections in the Password JDM and V2 AEM intakes don't have anything to do with "reserve air capacity". They still suck in air through the same small filter, so there's no "reserve" to pull extra air from. It's all about acoustics.

Quoted post[/post]]
By the way... the "bulges" and larger sections in the Password JDM and V2 AEM intakes don't have anything to do with "reserve air capacity". They still suck in air through the same small filter, so there's no "reserve" to pull extra air from. It's all about acoustics.

Sound?

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Sound?

Yes and no. Sound as you and I hear it is a very narrow subject in the overall study of acoustics.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

so anyone who buys an intake is a ricer
:blink: really! well then guess I am a ricer....
no i wasnt saying that.... i forgot the ? at the end
:laugh: at first i was wtf, but i caught that you were asking a question later on and I edited my post.

i had more on there but took it out

Back